A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

Seeing as how Brisbane has just been volunteered to suffer through an Olympics…

2 Likes

Got my first Pfizer yesterday (doesn’t count as Australian news, sorry for off-topic post)

5 Likes

Speaking of non-newsworthy things: remember that you’re still welcome to come for a visit once we’re no longer in a situation where most Tasmanians are keen on the idea of shooting mainlanders on sight.

My neighbours would lynch me if I had mainland visitors at the moment, but hopefully that won’t last for too long.

3 Likes

I would say that an Australian actually managing to get a vaccination definitely counts as news!

3 Likes

“But how could we possibly afford such extravagance?”

2 Likes

Context note for non-locals: Byron Bay and the surrounding district are a major focus of antivax alt-med hippy daftness.

If Covid gets loose up there, it will be very hard to stop; there is guaranteed to be some local who thinks that the best cure for Covid is magic mushrooms and rolling around naked with other people in a pseudo-sweatlodge.

3 Likes

Fantastic, thanks! Maybe let me know when we’re out of the ‘neighbours lynching you and shooting me for being a mainlander’ period and I’ll work on dates from there.

1 Like

Lol, I guess so given Morrison’s and the Fed government’s comprehensive fuck up of the vaxx program. I made Wednesday’s appointment like six weeks or two months ago after trying to get through on the ‘hotline’ for more than a week. How difficult it’ll be to make the follow up appointment remains to be seen.

1 Like

On the contrary, we know exactly what a Western assault on China would look like:

And not just in China. Everywhere.

2 Likes

There’s always a silver lining:

3 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

Similar in the other lockdown cities:

However:

2 Likes

OTOH:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Here’s a funky bit of local history:

1 Like

Reminder that this is happening while most of the houses of worship are closed due to Covid.

3 Likes

Wonder how many of them are Pentecostals…

4 Likes

Context for non-locals: Alberici was until recently a prominent journalist on the state-funded ABC TV (she quit to take a job in the finance industry last year). The ABC is frequently accused of being left of centre.

A few decades ago, there was a hint of truth to that, although it was mostly just that (a) middle-class tertiary-educated journos who chose to avoid the corporate sector tended to be socially liberal in a non-radical way, and (b) statutory independence meant that they tended to call out bullshit by whichever party was in office rather than just uncritically repeating the official narrative at all times.

These days, it’s rapidly shifting right.

1 Like