All The Feels

4 Likes

It’s quite possible that I’m the reincarnation of Harpo Marx…if reincarnation is in itself possible.

One of the great things about having older parents was obtaining the knowledge they had, and then going on from there - they were pushovers for buying us books! :smiley:

I especially love when she mentions how Groucho felt about her. The look on her face, the way she delivers the line…just beautiful.

2 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

End of June I got the call that Grandpa had been diagnosed with cancer. Flew back to visit for a week and it was nice.

He’d lost his vision, but still knew his way around the assisted living place just fine. Also still knew what road things were on or used to be on 50 years ago, so although he couldn’t see, he could still give good directions. Mentally, he was sharp as a tack. We talked a lot and he told me about his early life, and how he’d met my Grandma and so on.

About a week and a half ago, he was starting to have trouble, getting too weak to get up on his own and walk around, having pain, getting a little confused. Last time I called him, I asked “How’s it going?” and he said “Well, I’m going now. I guess that’s how it’s going.” That was my grandpa, always direct and no-nonsense.

He died peacefully in his sleep, with morphine and fentanyl to ease the pain.

Flew back down this last weekend for the funeral, and clearing out his stuff. It was interesting - he still had things from 1950 (his high school class ring, papers and dogtags from the Marines, a few pictures, etc.). Always hard to go through a lifetime of somebody’s stuff and figure out what to do with it though. We did the best we could, donated to habitat for humanity, the rescue mission, the pet shelter, and a couple of employees who’d taken care of him at the assisted living home.

A few years ago, back when he could still see, he’d gone back and updated his will and pre-arranged everything with the funeral home and had pretty much everything organized. That made it so much easier for us. Didn’t have to deal with that goulish funeral salesman pressure or wonder what he would’ve wanted or any of that. My wife and I decided we definitely need to do that.

Then I got to meet up with some extended family that I never really knew and hadn’t seen in 30+ years, but they had lots of stories, and that was nice. Also got to meet and catch up with a couple friends from back home that I hadn’t seen in 20+ years, which was nice.

It was a mixed week. Sadness, but also comfort and peace, and a bit of connection to the past and other people.

Now I’m home and exhausted. Think I might’ve caught a sinus infection or something while traveling. Have to work again in the morning. But for now, I’m going to hold onto these feelings just a little bit longer before getting back to the daily grind.

12 Likes

May he rest in peace.
It’s nice you got to spend some time with your family and had such good memories.

6 Likes

Friends of mine, particularly her…I want to go to Australia to meet them some day.

1 Like
2 Likes

I bought 4 tickets to a Violent Femmes concert next month. I have no idea how I’m going to get there, it’s over two hours away, don’t know who I might go with, and I don’t know where I’m going to stay afterward. I do have a friend who might let me crash there for the night though.

The whole thing though of just whatever, figure it out. Well, ok, I guess that’s just what I’m doing now. I’m ordering tickets to the show and I’ll figure out the details later.

I am not by nature a decisive person, but I guess, sometimes, you just have to be like that. Do or do not, there is no try, or whatever. Life gives you one shot, take it or lose it.

That’s a weird thing to feel, but it’s what I’m feeling right now.

11 Likes

I also dislike decisions like that. But it sounds like it will be a fabulous experience, and you’ll be happy you went!

4 Likes

I’ve always had a soft spot for cheetahs. They’re beautiful creatures born into a very hard life.

3 Likes

That sounds fun. Where is the concert?

4 Likes

It’s the Boston show at Paradise Rock Club. It’s a pretty small venue that I’m sure I’ve been to before, but I don’t remember who I saw there. I much prefer small venue shows.

5 Likes
6 Likes

I’ve loved his voice since I first heard it.

2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes