All the healthy stuff

Fuck.

I ordered some glucosamine, but forgot to check the ingredients.

Every time I forget to check the ingredients, I get hurt. I intellectually know that most people aren’t allergic to sorbitol, but when I’m not thinking about it, I wouldn’t think someone would put sorbitol in or near anything intended for human consumption, let alone use it as a standard.

My stomach hurts.

3 Likes

If you remember, I got an injection of about 70mg when I almost suffocated at the pharmacy/doctor’s office last Thanksgiving weekend?

I’ve had a couple of extreme doses, but the polyps always come back.

Anyway, aside from the time I wasn’t thinking and accidentally ate some cinnamon, I tolerate Prednisone extremely well compared to most people.

4 Likes

FWIW, I have only a basic HMO health plan from the ACA marketplace, and I can contact my doctor’s office to request a refill prescription even if I don’t have an appointment. They just send the new Rx to the pharmacy on file.

I can’t imagine that works with psychiatric drugs, but it works for autoimmune and cancer drugs.

7 Likes

I’ve also had the pharmacy offer to call the doctor and request a refill, but it’s not been on anything heavy duty.

5 Likes

You’re right; I have to go see the head doc every 90 days to get a written script. Or I did till I missed an appointment for the first time in years and they charged me 50 bucks. Pissed me off, so I asked my gp if she’d write the script with refills, seeing as I’ve been on the same combo for the same amount of years (as in two digits’ worth).

5 Likes

Popping in to say a little something about my health in general before I lay myself down for a nap.

The honeymoon phase with the Prednisone is over, and I am noticing a distinct change. Not a sea-change, but distinct nonetheless. I think that I’m leveled off, and I’m at the appropriate dosage of 40mg/day, 20-20/breakfast-dinner.
Probably ought to say I’m on more “solid” ground, guts-wise, so that probably has something to do with it, too.

Anyway, I really got some shit done today. Two loads of laundry, cleaned the toilet, took a shower, cleaned my palette and brushes, a bunch of dusty canvases and stretcher frames, and barely touched “the other place” (probably lucky it wasn’t a typical shit-show Monday). I’ve been awake for 12 hours straight, feeling neither wound up nor fatigued. Just…normal.

I plan to nap for a bit, now. I managed to get a chicken on credit from my pollo asado guy and had my first solid, heavy meal in days — of three slim chicken burritos — and it’s makin’ me sleepy. But when I get up, I think I’m gonna get some more shit done.
Like finishing these paintings of which I’ve been nearly criminally neglectful.

This is a weird feeling, after more than a decade of a sleepwalking, survival mode. It feels like a thriving mode.

9 Likes

Glad to hear it. This is why prednisone was called a “wonder drug.”

I hope you can continue to avoid the dark side of the cortisone force.

2 Likes

Didn’t want to put this in Possibly untrue science news

Vaccine for six strains of Lyme disease is being worked on in Europe. Let’s hope the antivaxxers don’t deepsix it (like they did with the LYMErix vaccine, now approved for dogs but not people). I would really like to go outside without worrying about lyme disease.

5 Likes

I have been working with a doctor on my nutrition for the past 3 years. After so much chaos in my life, I finally feel I can really commit to the changes and understand his approach.

Though my weight and fat percentage is high now, my blood sugar has been under control for the past two years, which is my main health goal.

The two big takeaways lately:

1. Make every meal packed with nutrition. Eat fresh fruits and veggies in large quantities.

2. Hydration is key. Water goes right through me. Veggies and fruit keep me hydrated. When I get dehydrated, I feel tapped out and then I crave sugar.

7 Likes

I was turning in medical study materials yesterday in San Diego, and I learned that the medicine I was on placebo for a couple of years ago (nasal polyp study) has been deemed successful and approved for the market. It’s called Dupixent.
The research center doc says it’s as effective as Prednisone, fewer dangers, and improves asthma symptoms, too. She has no idea of the price point, however.

Now I really need to work on getting onto Medi-Cal.

11 Likes

Looks expensive, if insurance doesn’t cover it. Very much at the same level as Humira for Crohn’s disease, another monoclonal antibody.

3 Likes

3 Likes

isnt the internet wunnerful

1 Like

Pardon me if I’ve said this before, but have you tried a budesonide nasal spray? It’s a local acting steroid used for nasal congestion (and asthma as an inhaler). Apparently it’s also been tested for polyps.

I’m taking the drug for Crohn’s and it’s worked wonders. (YMMV of course.)

2 Likes

Yes, but no go. Not effective on me, likely due to obstruction. Actually, this new drug was tested in combination with the sprays.

Sadly, I am at the extreme edge of “ugly” polyp/septum issues. ENTs love doing endoscopy on me because it’s just so darn interesting up there. When there’s an intern present, it always turns into a teaching moment.

4 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve been struggling to focus a bit lately. My daughter is out of town for the week, so I decided to reboot some habits while she’s away and I only have one kid on my hands.

Biggest changes:

• No screen time before bed. I make my agenda for the next day, read a book for a bit, then lights out
  • Back to the 5 am wake-up. My son is sleeping through the night, so I can make a go of it.
  • Sticking to my agenda.
  • Husband leaving a bit earlier so he can be back by the time I get home with the kids in the afternoon.

Exercise is on the schedule. Eating lunch is on the schedule. Non-emergency emails (ie, crap I need to send and haven’t) are on the schedule. I’m hoping I can get a bit of balance back in a sustainable way for when she comes back, and then the school year starts.

10 Likes

I made it one day before getting derailed by insomnia and sleeping in until 6:30. But two of my tasks took less time, so I’m more-or-less back on schedule.

I guess I’m no longer in a place to drink a coffee at 4 pm and sleep fine. Getting older sucks.

7 Likes

Maybe one day this will belong in a “Bad Medicine” thread, but right now this is a promising area of research.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/the-nature-of-things/season-55/it-takes-guts/38e815a-0091c386082

Maybe there’s a reason the “obesity epidemic” started hitting after we started putting antibiotics in everything. I know correlation/causation, but it’s intriguing.

7 Likes

It’s a fascinating premise.

Among other things, I remember the late 70s to the 90s as the era of repeated stomach flu epidemics (remember the Norwalk virus?). People would come into school after a bout, complain-bragging about the symptoms and how much weight they lost from being sick. These seem to be blamed in part on food poisoning now, but an infection is an infection.

I had IBS in the late 90s too, something which is supposed to be triggered initially by an infection.

And then, as you said, there are antibiotics in everything now, plus people use antibacterial soap and hand cleanser constantly.

It might wind up being woo, but I’m seeing a lot of smoking guns.

9 Likes