All the nope

19 Likes

Well, considering the alternative… a fella’s gotta do what a fella’s gotta do.

Too bad the photographer couldn’t have gotten out and given him a push.

12 Likes

+hard pass

5 Likes

5 Likes

giphy-downsized (5)

8 Likes

9 Likes

Nope, I’m not looking, and you can’t make me.

12 Likes

FTFY

6 Likes

Where is that female objectification thread when you need it?

3 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/01/16/in-the-coldest-village-on-earth-eyelashes-freeze-dinner-is-frozen-and-temperatures-sink-to-88f/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_coldest-place-1114pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.fa3897322b78#comments

11 Likes

During the summers, it gets as warm as 94F. That’s a lot of variability.

10 Likes

Guess their closets are huge, with like teeny tiny shorts and then gigantico parkas.

7 Likes

The object was discovered when Turner, now 61, went in for an MRI in 2017 for a separate medical issue. The magnet in the MRI machine “reacts to the scalpel in his abdomen, and you have to stop the procedure because he has all this pain.”

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/16/578366340/veteran-sues-after-scalpel-found-inside-his-body-4-years-after-surgery

11 Likes

Ouch!!

4 Likes

It’s really common. In ORs there is a procedure to count all the instruments, sponges, etc., before the surgery and after to make sure that nothing is left in the patient. My last company invented a device to autocount them but I think it never quite worked as smoothly as we wished. It had to identify each object and count it, not just do a total count.

It was shocking actually to learn how OR teams work. Like, it’s common for the people on a team to not even know each other’s names. Many hospitals implemented a pre-surgery checklist based on pilot pre-flight checklists, but from what I heard, they are kind of a CYA thing for the administrators and not really embraced by the doctors and nurses doing the surgeries because they do the surgeries all day long and it all just gets rote and they don’t pay that much attention to it.

My last company also made this video display that was installed in operating rooms that would show stuff like the patient’s allergies and what surgery was being performed. Because, seriously, a lot of times no one paid attention to stuff like that. We worked with major hospitals with lots of money. Scary to think what goes on in the smaller places.

http://www.who.int/patientsafety/safesurgery/ss_checklist/en/

12 Likes

I think I heard something about Atul Gawande going around and trying to convince surgical teams to use checklists, and not having a real easy time of it.

8 Likes

I’m trying hard not to even imagine it. I hope the team was on the ball enough to recognize the problem and hit an emergency cutoff in a couple seconds.

3 Likes

The administrators love them.

Surgeons have BIG egos and putting anything in place that undercuts their authority is not going play well. Just to give you an idea, we created a very elaborate audio visual solution for a hospital in the Czech republic. VERY elaborate. There were many operating rooms with all kinds of cameras and displays and teleconferencing. AND we had to install an OVERRIDE button for the head of surgery. Like, this guy could cut to the front of the line every time and do whatever he wanted in the system and completely screw with everyone else’s setups.

Here’s a study talking about what I was saying, that they are not really implemented that well.

And just to show you how basic it is, here is the actual checklist:

10 Likes

Speaking of “all the nopes” just… nope!

7 Likes

Oh yes. And good luck getting someone who is not very good, or too old, or drunk, or taking drugs to back down. And cardiac surgeons have the biggest egos I think.

4 Likes