All the nope

It’s on Reddit, or 4chan, or FoxNews, or Tumblr, or, really, most websites which allow user comments.

2 Likes

That’s called Maxim.

3 Likes

At least now they mark which leg to amputate. (Or which one not to amputate. I always forget.)

5 Likes

You forgetting which they mark for is fine.

The surgeon forgetting that, on the other hand…

6 Likes

Easy solution is to Sharpie on the ol’ Cut On Dotted Line bit a couple days in advance. Where possible.

Now I’m picturing them mistaking a sponge for a spleen, or thinking that bloody hose clamp on the edge of the dish is the tumor, and stitching up with the proper number of items on the outside, and yet…

9 Likes

I recall some radiologists talking about a case where the child was covered over the groin with a lead drape to protect the testes from x-rays, except the child was a girl.

5 Likes

Oh hell no.

3 Likes

I haven’t spent much time in the radiology department, but wouldn’t they employ a similar drape to shield the ovaries during any x-ray that’s not specifically intended to photograph that general area? I mean, the eggs are already in there… why zap them unnecessarily?

7 Likes

Its actually even more important to protect the ovaries, because girls are born with all of their eggs for a lifetime, unlike boys who create new supply all the time.

7 Likes

That was my exact thought. And I figured the drape would land in a fairly nearby place. It’s not like ovaries are up by the shoulder blades. Usually.

5 Likes

You’d think – but if they thought it was a boy . . . ?

2 Likes

Well, that’s what I don’t understand. Who exactly thought the patient was a boy? You seemed to imply that the drape was placed specifically to protect testes (rather than, say, generic gonads of either sex), but is it possible that the x-ray tech in question wasn’t specifically told whether the patient was a boy or girl, and the precise placement of the drape was not considered critical one way or another?

At any rate, I imagine it’s more common than we’d like for information that we’d consider important to be elided from a lot of medical situations. Maybe that’s more of a bad thing than we know.

4 Likes

Good questions! I wish I remembered what else was said. I was a student at the time, and an engineering student to boot. It was a state rehab hospital, if that means anything.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Could the person have been in transition, or had ambiguous genitals? Or maybe dressed so butch that the technician assumed?

2 Likes

With whom? And please don’t say Ivanka.

edited to add: it helps to read the link, huh? My guess is we’re talking one-time things, to get on his good side, rather than an ongoing affair.

But then, there IS a lot of “executive time” in the schedule.

5 Likes

The story said it was a child. At younger ages boys and girls look identical besides what’s in their underwear. The technician might have incorrectly assumed because of hair length or something.

5 Likes

NOT IN THIS TOPIC NO THANK YOU NOT GONNA DO IT

8 Likes

That was my first thought. One in approximately 83,000 women have testes in place of their ovaries. It could have been some kind of rare intersex condition.

4 Likes
10 Likes