And now for some good news

It seems like good news, anyhow. It would be better news if they were implementing.

7 Likes

Yes, it’s good news, but this looks like it’ll have one of the same problems that burning plastics will.

Namely, that the chemicals you’re breaking the plastic down into are horrible, toxic ones.

So, while this enzyme will be quite a good thing to use at a recycling plant, we can’t just turn it loose into the oceans to eat the microplastics and destroy the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. If we did, what it would leave behind is probably worse than what it would remove.

11 Likes

Details

3 Likes

The devil’s in them, they say.

7 Likes

Chemistry is not one of my strong suits, and I certainly don’t know anything about PET specifically, but I’ve heard in the past that the chemicals that they turn into plastics are generally fairly nasty stuff.

4 Likes

Devils tend to have them, too. Along with de cloven hoofs.

7 Likes

And gorgeous dark eyes…

lucifer%20speak%20of%20the%20me

:roll_eyes: :wink:

4 Likes

I found this by following links from the Why Not Call the Cops thread, but this seemed like a better place.

Better image (guy is in white above the highway sign on the right):

Couldn’t help hearing the Convoy and Smokey and the Bandit theme songs in my head while reading about this. We’re overdue for a good trucker movie.

7 Likes

New glasses!
WIN_20210817_15_00_54_Pro

6 Likes

My cousin is in the running for Australia’s most prestigious literary prize!

7 Likes

I am happy about football. :slightly_smiling_face:

1. Helluva game, huge comeback to a nailbiter finish.

2. It was the special Indigenous round for the Marn Grook Cup, and my favourite player of the previous generation (Adam Goodes) was there to present the trophy.

3. The game-saving hero player was, fittingly, the Indigenous megastar Lance “Buddy” Franklin.

(Buddy pictured here with Michael O’Loughlin, another retired Indigenous Swans star)

As perfect as if it were scripted, and (unusually) televised in Tasmania so I actually got to watch it.

1 Like

I have a book coming out in August… I’ll post the link here when it’s online.

8 Likes

From my brother’s old town, Milingimbi:

2 Likes

Tomorrow, my brother and I (and maybe my son) are going up to MacLaren Hospital in Lapeer to visit my Aunt Loretta, who is in good spirits despite the pain.

2 Likes

I hope she’s okay! Get well, Aunt Loretta!

2 Likes

She’s doing pretty well, all things considered. Her hearing is deteriorating, though. But other than that, no probs understanding anywhere. It was a clean break, not a splinter. She should be okay to be in a wheelchair for the wedding of one of her granddaughter’s wedding next month. Seems the Carpenter/Boughner genes have provided for offspring that can endure for long periods of time.

Oh, she’ll be 94 this year, I think I listed her age incorrectly in an earlier post.

3 Likes

Sooo, I locked myself out of my car for the first time in years (at least the first time w/this car, lol), and I’d reached my AAA service-call limit, so what was I to do? The police won’t help. I ended up walking up to CARite on Gratiot Ave. just north of Nine Mile Rd. in Eastpointe, MI, and the kind people there helped me out - for NOTHING but a “THANK YOU”. When I’m ready to trade my car in, that is where I’m taking it!

The kindness of strangers…combined with the privilege of being white. Which may or may not have played a factor. But I have purple hair, wear kneesocks & rolled up jeans & tie-dye sneakers, which some could interpret as possibly harmful. It’s funny, the things I’ve taken for granted; but then again, my low self-esteem asks why should ANYone help me anyway, so…

5 Likes

I was warned that “women of a certain age” become invisible, but also I think that we are also sometimes viewed as needing some amount of protection or help. Plus, we don’t come across as dangerous, even if we do come across as weird.

6 Likes

Makes us the perfect fifth column…

7 Likes

Laughing way too hard at that thought…

6 Likes