Apocalypse Watch

Ok hopefully things have cooled a bit. I’m reopening this. Everyone play nice. The apocalypse isn’t coming tomorrow! We need each other.

7 Likes

Hmmmmm. Guess I shouldn’t have take out all those loans from questionable men in poorly fitting suits.

5 Likes

I’ll have you know that suit is tailored

I mean. Ahem. Yes, don’t take out loans from questionable men in suits, whether those suits are, in fact, exquisitely tailored or not.

5 Likes

What do you think about merging this other thread with the current topic? Given the name and when it was started, it seems possible that the two are maybe at least thematically related.

4 Likes

Good idea. I’m on it tomorrow. About to bed down. Remind me if I forget.

4 Likes

I guess the blackout plan didn’t help.

5 Likes
4 Likes

http://huffpost.com/entry/couple-face-masks-wedding-photo-california-wildfire_n_5db9a5c6e4b066da552a4e16

7 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes

No way I can like that. And not on a real computer, so finding and linking an AAARRRGGH!!! Gif isn’t easy right now.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Drazen rolled his eyes and sighed. “There’s a Belgian team in the CCZ doing a component test right now,” he said. “They’re going to drive a vehicle around on the seafloor and spew a bunch of mud up. So these things are already happening. We’re about to make one of the biggest transformations that humans have ever made to the surface of the planet. We’re going to strip-mine a massive habitat, and once it’s gone, it isn’t coming back.”

9 Likes

So there’s this.

And of course that’s just how we are going to do things.

For example, in ExxonMobil’s 2019 Outlook for Energy, the company projects *no* reductions in carbon dioxide emissions from the energy sector through 2040—and no date at which emissions reach net zero, implying indefinite warming.

Here is also a retrospective for how the last decade has gone, though in truth many of them are formalizing earlier losses, and the ones now will take longer to be registered for sure:

A thought – this article notes the snail Plecostoma sciaphila was destroyed by “a cement company”. Surely someone knows who; would it not be appropriate to name them, every time this species comes up, right along with van Benthem-Jutting who described them? Or would that just end up like giving fame to school shooters, seeing how there is apparently no shame in destruction left anyway?

10 Likes

And meanwhile Albertans (usual caveats apply) are welcoming climate change because they think it will bring them more prosperity.

5 Likes