Apocalypse Watch

I guess the blackout plan didn’t help.

5 Likes
4 Likes

http://huffpost.com/entry/couple-face-masks-wedding-photo-california-wildfire_n_5db9a5c6e4b066da552a4e16

7 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes

No way I can like that. And not on a real computer, so finding and linking an AAARRRGGH!!! Gif isn’t easy right now.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Drazen rolled his eyes and sighed. “There’s a Belgian team in the CCZ doing a component test right now,” he said. “They’re going to drive a vehicle around on the seafloor and spew a bunch of mud up. So these things are already happening. We’re about to make one of the biggest transformations that humans have ever made to the surface of the planet. We’re going to strip-mine a massive habitat, and once it’s gone, it isn’t coming back.”

9 Likes

So there’s this.

And of course that’s just how we are going to do things.

For example, in ExxonMobil’s 2019 Outlook for Energy, the company projects *no* reductions in carbon dioxide emissions from the energy sector through 2040—and no date at which emissions reach net zero, implying indefinite warming.

Here is also a retrospective for how the last decade has gone, though in truth many of them are formalizing earlier losses, and the ones now will take longer to be registered for sure:

A thought – this article notes the snail Plecostoma sciaphila was destroyed by “a cement company”. Surely someone knows who; would it not be appropriate to name them, every time this species comes up, right along with van Benthem-Jutting who described them? Or would that just end up like giving fame to school shooters, seeing how there is apparently no shame in destruction left anyway?

10 Likes

And meanwhile Albertans (usual caveats apply) are welcoming climate change because they think it will bring them more prosperity.

5 Likes

I don’t even know. I have in fact talked to more than one Albertan who thought that climate change was real, serious, required action, and therefore…they need to develop the oil sands as fast as possible, in order to have a strong economy that might later deal with things.

Honestly, it has been very hard not to be broken hearing such things. Experts say not to give up and there is still time to save some things, and I hope there is some chance people will try, but plainly not in places like that. :disappointed:

6 Likes

I’m seeing more people (again, usual caveats apply) saying global warming will mean milder winters in Alberta and a longer growing season, so they think it’s just a grand idea. So shortsighted.

I once had the opportunity to ask someone who worked under the former provincial NDP government about it, and he got very uncomfortable and made the usual noises about economy and jobs, then said we shouldn’t be talking politics (we were in Iceland with a group from all over the world).

If I could go back, I’d want to ask him what was so political about it.

6 Likes

Probably a good sign

The author is David Wallace Wells, of Uninhabitable Earth fame.

5 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Outcome Will Suck Less Than Expected is something, I suppose.

11 Likes

With regards to Australia…

10 Likes

As I see it, the news is still bad and IMO this doesn’t change our circumstance in any way that matters. The 1.x degrees we’re already experiencing is already dangerous, 1.5C and 2.0 are worse, and each tenth of a degree above that makes it more dire. We still need urgent action.

Also, RCP8.5 has always been an unlikely outlier (right?) in the near-term, that is, by 2100. And there’s still the question of tipping points. Where are they? We don’t know because we don’t have the science to say because we’ve never run this particular experiment on our planet before.

So I think the author’s positive framing doesn’t help anything because what we have to do hasn’t changed.

6 Likes