Apocalypse Watch

Not about suicide, but certainly about heat and the tensions it can cause…

So I think we can expect more of these kinds of tensions with more global warming?

5 Likes
5 Likes

Good lord, that’s horrible. Doesn’t their insurance pay for this? Don’t they have insurance? If they don’t, isn’t that their problem? I mean this is like expecting to get car insurance to pay for a wreck from a time before you bought the insurance.

Unlike health insurance which should be available for everyone from birth. Though I guess corporations, being people, deserve the same treatment.

5 Likes

Privatizing profits and socializing losses is the American way

9 Likes

Zardoz on Econ: Risk taking with other people’s lives is good. Risk aversion is evil.

8 Likes

under his proposal, courts would have to balance “the public benefit of the electrical infrastructure”

If it’s about the public benefit of a utility, the simple answer is to make it a public utility. Bailing out a privately-owned for-profit business is the opposite of what’s in the public benefit.

8 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Dust storm in Arizona.

5 Likes

Fitting, considering how many people there are actively supportive of the Christian Taliban.

11 Likes

13 Likes

This from a kid from Texas. Is he insensible to the notable advantage of “a dry heat”?

9 Likes
7 Likes

Well, that’s the scariest scenario I’ve ever read.

Humans: Look, a squirrel.

7 Likes

I, for one, will posthumously welcome our new squirrel overlords.

5 Likes

That’s a neat trick!

And those will be 6 feet tall Arctic rain forest squirrels with huge ears for heat dissipation.

5 Likes

life endured mean annual temperatures of 23–29 degrees Celsius (73–84 degrees Fahrenheit)

Sounds pretty comfortable to me. We’ve been having lows in the 70s and highs in the 90s and I’m loving it. Very low risk of frostbite and hypothermia under those conditions. (Of course they won’t last, winter will be brutal.) I’d be more scared of warnings that there’s another ice age coming.

over 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit)

That might be a bit uncomfortable, but we can build underground and we’ve invented air conditioning. The real problems from that would be sociopolitical and economic, since the rich could easily solve the problem but wouldn’t want to share.

5 Likes

Air conditioning. That thing that’s been broken in my apartment all summer and I can’t get a repair person in because they’re all booked up? That air conditioning?

Also, building underground assumes we have time to build underground before the shit hits the fan – and that there aren’t any further impacts to things like air quality which would require even more infrastructure changes.

The highest skyscrapers in my neck of the woods are ~80 stories. It’s going to be hard to fit all that square footage underground.

5 Likes

Fortunately, we’ve depleted the water tables enough that building underground won’t run into flooding problems too much.

(For certain definitions of the term “fortunate”)

9 Likes

Needs more “hothouse”

6 Likes