Apocalypse Watch

“Can you tell me why you left your last job?”
“I couldn’t handle the pressure”

9 Likes

Holy fuck. That entire situation is horrific.

7 Likes

Holy shit, I thought you were joking, but I googled it and found this:

FTA:

Making the danger feel real can take a more tangible form, Tuell said. Another example: emergency personnel in Texas who distributed toe tags to people in the evacuation zone. “They said, ‘Please put your name on it, because we want to have help identifying your body when you don’t survive.’ And that was somewhat effective.”

But you can get them yourself at Amazon.

8 Likes

My sense of humour occasionally strays to the morbid (If Abraham Lincoln were alive today, he’d be clawing at the inside of his coffin), but generally not that far.

6 Likes

I guess I was projecting. I snagged a morgue tag during a summer job at a hospital. (from supply, not one already, ah, in use.)

Decades later, I gave it to a friend to use as a bookmark in his recently published anthology of zombie stories. I thought it apropos. Gee this latter remark is even on topic.

7 Likes

Everyone seems to forget:

This is America. Where public transportation and temporary accommodation exist for people who need to evacuate, they won’t be accessible, and they might be police traps. This means many people can’t evacuate.

This is a country which mandates incapacitating fire alarms, many of which blare EVACUATE! EVACUATE! with such incapacitating volume, amid strobes, that it may as well be EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

This is a country which trains police in pain complaince, on the premise that if someone can’t or won’t obey an order, police should use dangerous weapons to incapacitate us until we do… Even if we could the weapons make sure we can’t.

4 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes

They seriously need to stop trying to build the near-future’s murder machines. :slightly_frowning_face:

6 Likes

Seriously. Who watched the Terminator movies and thought, “That’s a great idea! Let’s build that!”

7 Likes

The current dumpster fire in DC, perhaps? I’d also thing rich bastards might like the idea of murderbots, but lack the self awareness that they, too, ultimately will be murdered by their evil machines.

6 Likes

No. Each … murderbot has a preset … murder limit, so they can smply send wave after wave of their own serfs at them. And they know they’re so much superior, of course their serfs will agree.

5 Likes

You suck!!!

1 Like

I can see someone not having read the Berserker books by Fred Saberhagen. But didn’t they even see “The Doomsday Machine” episode of the original Star Trek?

4 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

State Sen. Jerry Hill (D) is looking into legislation that would break up the state’s investor-owned utilities or turn them into public power utilities following reports about how equipment owned by PG&E and SoCalEd may have started the Camp and Woolsey fires, KQED reported Sunday. [bolding added for emphasis]

Golly gosh, maybe they shouldn’t have privatized them in the first place. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes