Apocalypse Watch

10 Likes

More on the insect collapse. Sticky footer warning.

7 Likes
6 Likes

There’s no conflict of interest here!!! Look, a squirrel.

6 Likes
6 Likes

I guess that’s one way to dispose of the ash.

4 Likes
7 Likes

This one deer got one and almost two of us.

5 Likes

That deer didn’t look very stumbly to me.

More like this:

Or this:

In short, Bambi might be exaggerated a little.

3 Likes

9 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

I wish we’d never had such a “close” relationship with that country. But $$$$$ I guess.

6 Likes

$$$ and :oil_drum:

6 Likes

The continued use of fossil fuel is a large part of our ongoing apocalypse watch, both environmentally and politically/militarily.

7 Likes

Well, I figured SSS = :oil_drum: = $$$

6 Likes

Yikes. I can’t believe that’s a .gov domain with that kind of headline. Bureaucrats don’t do stuff like that. They must be pissed.

3 Likes

much of part 2 will be familiar.

5 Likes
6 Likes

just 7°F (4°C) of warming “would constitute the end of civilization as we know it.” […]
climate impacts that come from just one more degree Celsius of warming — for a total of 3.6°F (2°C) warming — will be catastrophic. […]
if we warm the planet 2°C that may be enough to trigger feedbacks that push the planet toward the irreversible “Hothouse Earth.” That would mean catastrophic warming of 9°F (5°C)

Wasn’t it just last month that much of the northern U.S. and southern Canada saw temperatures range almost 100°F in a day or two from around -50°F to 50°F? And when it’s 20°F out, raising the temperature 3-9° certainly doesn’t sound catastrophic.

I feel like actually including the temperature deltas when talking about climate change is maybe a bad idea. Given that the numbers are so insignificant when compared to the high/low temperature range within a day, let alone seasonally, it’s counter-intuitive that such a small change would result in such massive and significant catastrophes. That feeds the climate change deniers. There must be a better way to communicate it? Maybe comparing sum global energy rather than energy at one point?

7 Likes