Apocalypse Watch

Just to follow up: the authors of that report have issued a correction which says the situation in the Arctic is less dire than they first reported. AIUI, still bad, but not so bad, not so soon, and most importantly not locked in. We still have time to change course and reduce GHG emissions to avoid the worst effects should we – I don’t know – ever choose to do so.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-is-three-five-celsius-of-arctic-warming-now-locked-in

3 Likes
7 Likes

It’s, um, interesting? this behaviour can happen in a country so famous for litigation.

Even without that factor, “the sheriff sent staff to assault us during a drill today” is seriously fucked up.

15 Likes

I think the teachers were expecting to get “shot” (e.g. someone would be firing at them as they were trying to escape/hide/confront), but they weren’t expected to be executed.

10 Likes

I am so glad I quit teaching when I did.

13 Likes

The preferred method of justice in this country seems not to let things take their course, but to avoid trials all together. Plea deals for the powerless, immunity for the empowered.

9 Likes
8 Likes

It actually makes perfect sense, if you believe outbreeding the other is more important than surviving.

6 Likes

This from the people that tried to combat the rising of the Salt Lake and subsequent flooding of Salt Lake City by saying “We need people to stop sinning and pray more.”

Then when the drought came and the lake level dropped, we waited for them say “We need to stop praying and sin more,” but that never happened.

15 Likes

I’m now imagining a story where the climate is dependent on keeping sin within a precisely-tuned range.

16 Likes

Please give us the details!

7 Likes
3 Likes

Just read this sentence as I was browsing Jezebel:

Season 16 of Keeping Up with the Kardashians premieres Sunday night on E!

I try to just ignore these people, but I see their faces on line, and wondered what it is that they do to be “celebrities.” They have a TV show? And it’s been on for 16 years???

7 Likes

their dad was O. J. Simpson’s lawyer

8 Likes

Plus, one of them was Paris Hilton adjacent at just the right time, then had a carefully stage managed sex tape. It fills the same niche as the soap opera, but now it’s interactive (ish).

It’s both lacivous (sex and plastic surgery) and wholesome (babies and family).

It looks ridiculous from the outside, because it’s not aimed at either of us. It’s a pop culture singularity and we’re so far outside the event horizon that we cannot grasp what the fuck is going on in there.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a private, human conversation with any of them. Would it be possible to connect at all? Might they really surprise me? I cannot fathom any series of events that would allow that to happen, though.

12 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/judge-rules-new-york-county-cant-ban-unvaccinated-children-from-schools-parks/2019/04/06/589ae326-587e-11e9-8ef3-fbd41a2ce4d5_story.html

4 Likes

Can we start a petition to replace “E Pluribus Unum” with this on US currency?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mind discussing plastic surgery. I think we could really connect!

1 Like
7 Likes

No, but thank you for sharing…

10 Likes