Apocalypse Watch

Wasps 1, me 0

11 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

PG&Eā€™s culpability doesnā€™t come as much of shock at this point

Of course it wouldnā€™t; the power lines were probably melted in the fire and canā€™t shock anyone anymore.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Stochastic terrorism shrugged off as lone wolves

6 Likes
7 Likes

fucking hell

I knew I skipped our team-building event to day-drink for a good reason.

7 Likes

The only thing I will say, as a non-expert, is that I noticed the open firing (no scrubbers) of industrial chimneys in Gary, Indiana starting back up around that time. At first, it would be at night, apparently because thatā€™s when inspectors might not be around to notice. But soon enough Iā€™d see it any time of day: openly spewing burning industrial waste into the air without the necessary filters.

When I was younger, you knew to close all the car windows and vents and put the fan on recirculate as you got near Gary, to keep the noxious fumes down as much as possible while driving through.

11 Likes

I noticed the same problem all along the Calumet. Burning waste from the landfills, open industrial pollution from the million and one factories there, no filters. Every time Iā€™ve had to drive past there, which was weekly if not daily, Iā€™ve had to roll my windows up and turn on the air conditioning.

I canā€™t drive past industrial runoff and flaming shit for years and be surprised when methane levels go through the roof.

8 Likes

But survival seems politically untenableā€¦

5 Likes

You know how Illinois is considering an extra $1,00 tax on electric cars?

In Oslo, they are openly stating that they are using a tax strategy to help citizens make the better choice: they only tax petrol and diesel cars, because of the pollution, whereas if you have an electric car there is no tax.

11 Likes

Where did the second link go? It shows up for me if I go in to ā€œeditā€ the post.

4 Likes

In my six years here, Iā€™ve determined Illinois will tax anything.

4 Likes
5 Likes

funpage-0
funpage-1

8 Likes

ā€œFreedom Gasā€

7 Likes

I freedom gas in their general direction

7 Likes

That seems to have disappeared?

2 Likes