Apocalypse Watch

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia on Wednesday delivered an annual address replete with threats against the West but, despite intense tensions with Ukraine, stopped short of announcing new military or foreign policy moves. Russia’s response will be “asymmetric, fast and tough” if it is forced to defend its interests, Mr. Putin said, pointing to what he claimed were Western efforts at regime change in neighboring Belarus as another threat to Russia’s security.

By asymmetric, Putin probably means escalatory, but in certain circles, asymmetric implies all sorts of destabilizing things.

3 Likes

The World Wars were mostly symmetrical. Nonviolent resistance is about as assymetrical as possible, although it’s not Putin’s practice.

2 Likes

Nuclear warfare is symmetric. But he could be talking about assassinations.

“Back away, slowly. I have a raking pot of tea, and I know how to use it.”

2 Likes
1 Like
6 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

I can’t say that I understand everything here, but this seems not good, Bob.

6 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes
1 Like

Global warming seems to be more serious than the worst predictions.

3 Likes

By the late afternoon, the mercury had swelled to a blazing 128.6 degrees.

5 Likes

i swear a few weeks ago they said it hit 134 in Death Valley, but maybe that was an unverified temp? anyway, omg. :fire: :fire: :fire: :thermometer:

they also have been saying “hottest temp recorded on earth” and i’m thinking, “really? on EARTH? there’s gotta be somewhere (the Sahara?) that gets that hot…”

3 Likes

That 134 number was from 1913 - in Death Valley.

3 Likes

You know, I seem to remember that. Perhaps they meant it was hottest average temperature over a day?

4 Likes

The difference I guess is that the 134°F was recorded over 100 years ago with less precise equipment.

I usually think of nighttime in the desert as cooling off, but it didn’t get lower than 100°F for three days!

3 Likes

aha – thank you. all this makes sense. i knew i had heard about 134 in Death Valley, but i missed when it occurred.

3 Likes

Yer welcome!

1 Like