5 Likes

OMG.    

1 Like

forecast for tomorrow

forecast

4 Likes

126Âș, but it’s a dry heat, right?

5 Likes

“The pressure was so intense that you felt it in your ears. We could hear the roof coming apart and smashing into another building. Windows breaking, flooding.”

5 Likes

it’s true, we should probably look at the “apparent temperature” map instead

apptemp

but it won’t have such big numbers in Death Valley

4 Likes

heat index of 115° in Shreveport, La.

5 Likes

It got up to 97° heat index here today, and 99% humidity (though not at the same time - peak heat = minimum humidity). We’re set to hit 100% humidity at 10pm, but by then it’ll be down to 73°.

It was kind of magical, walked out and my glasses fogged up. Took a walk through the yard with the stray cat and all the plants were moist and it was like you could hear/feel them growing. Meanwhile it’s bright and sunny and raining, with a rainbow off in the east, lightning flashing and thunder rolling in from down south. My neighbor’s house looked like it was on fire, because the sun was shining right on the roof and the rain that hit just puffed away in little clouds of steam.

Some of the yankees around here really aren’t used to this heat and humidity though.

3 Likes

Derek Jeeter?

1 Like

Nah, further north, New England. Land of a special type of weirdos. Home of H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, and people who shovel snow in shorts and a t-shirt.

2 Likes

is it more apocalyptic to have a heat index of 116° in one place or 114° in three places

1 Like

I think the real apocalyptic part is when the lows are over 85, so a body can’t ever cool down, and starts the day overheated only to get even hotter.

Kim Stanley Robinson’s Ministry for the Future begins with a really harrowing description of that. The book itself is optimistic, because he is, but the start is hard to read.

6 Likes
3 Likes

all I know is it’s really gross out right now

From one air-conditioned space to another a mile away is a big sweaty ordeal :hot_face:

3 Likes

Hurricane Beryl accumulated strength quickly due to unseasonably warm water, while at the same time, extreme heat is expected to break some records in Death Valley. For our climate segment of the week, Bob Henson, meteorologist, journalist, regular contributor to Yale Climate Connections and author of The Thinking Person’s Guide to Climate Change ‎(American Meteorological Society, 2019), discusses how global warming is factoring into extreme weather events and how scientists are considering changing the scales in with which these events are measured.

Listen or read here.

Something I learned from this segment:

The warmest summer on record (in New York City) was 1966, and some of your listeners may remember the song Summer in the City , which came out that very summer, and really captured probably how it felt that summer.

3 Likes

I remember!

Hot town, summer in the city,
back of my neck gettin’ dirty and gritty,
cool cat, looking for a kitty,
gonna look in every corner of the city.
All around people looking half dead
walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head

But at night it’s a different world
go out and find a girl
come on come on and dance all night
despite the heat it’ll be all right
And babe, don’t you know it’s a pity
The days can’t be like the nights
In the summer, in the city
In the summer, in the city

Great song. I don’t remember the rest.

3 Likes

I do!

And I’ll bet you could sing along no problem if the song came on right now.

3 Likes