Apocalypse Watch

Thanks!

1 Like
3 Likes

US ‘prepper’ culture diversifies amid fear of disaster and political unrest

4 Likes

Update for anyone who was wondering about this story:

The subways are quite safe and this is political theater aimed at voters who never actually enter the city. The last time she did this was 2022. As was the case in that election year, crime in our nation’s disintegrating cities are a major concern among people who live elsewhere, i.e Republicans.

I, and no one I have asked, have seen any increase in police or any national guard members anywhere. The National Guard must be stationed prominently at major transit hubs, like Grand Central and Penn Station. Police continue to behave as they always do — chatting in groups and reading their phones.

The local perspective:

4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

If I was an animist, I might wonder if the planet is trying to rid itself of a bothersome irritant, namely us. We do seem to be making a mess of the place.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Bingo:

That was when it struck me: homeless people are not awaiting the eventual collapse of society. Homeless people are people for whom society already collapsed. I don’t think it will permanently collapse for the preppers in the way they fantasize about. But that worst case scenario is already real for the homeless.

6 Likes
3 Likes

…wow, the themes of those films really went over this guy’s head, if he even watched them at all.

3 Likes

A common thread with kooks is seeing art and allegory and taking it absolutely literally. Hence biblical literalism. My biggest problem with both Kubrick and the bible is that they both put me to sleep. I don’t understand the need for literalism any more than I understand the need to rehash very generationally niche avante garde cinema as if it was all you need to know about a particular society.

2 Likes

Emperor penguins suffered mass breeding failures in 2023 amid record low sea ice

LONDON, April 25 (Reuters) - Record low sea ice in late 2023 led to breeding failures in one-fifth of Antarctica’s emperor penguin colonies, scientists with the British Antarctic Survey said on Thursday.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Much harder to avoid:

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

I remember this was bad. But it was even worse.

1 Like

Imagine you are at the ice-cream shop, an array of colorful flavors lie before you in a glass case. A flavor calls to you, its label reads “pistachio”.

After your purchase, you look online at the ice-cream shop’s website. Turns out, the pistachio ice-cream had no pistachios in it. Instead, it had “pistachio flavoring”, made up of “water, ethanol, propylene, glycol, natural & artificial flavor, yellow 5 [and] blue 1”.

So what do you do? You gather other ice-cream aficionados and sue the ice-cream company.

ok, yes, I’m being silly by putting it in this category, sorry. :wink:

5 Likes