Apocalypse Watch

3 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes

Ugh… I can’t remember where I saw it, but I saw once an article from a newspaper that was from the very early 20th century, worrying about the impact of pollution on the environment… maybe from the 19teens… It’s enraging how much of this stuff has been covered up or squashed… We could be in a much better place if we’d started making changes way back then…

7 Likes

From 1912:

Which came a little after this paper from 1896:

8 Likes

… this is a convenient link

7 Likes

The science was never very difficult. It didn’t need a Midgley to gaslight the world.

5 Likes
2 Likes

So (soon) you can’t even expect a fast food meal to cost the same day-to-day?

5 Likes

No one complains about the airline model. Right?

3 Likes

For a given value of no one.

3 Likes

Update to the story:

On Wednesday, American fast food chain Wendy’s said it has no plans to dynamically raise menu prices based on demand after reports about the experiment, which was set to roll out in 2025, caused a stir online, reports Reuters. In a statement to the news service, a Wendy’s spokesperson said it “would not raise prices when our customers are visiting us most.” Instead, the company framed experimental price changes as discounts during “slower times of day.”

“We said these menuboards would give us more flexibility to change the display of featured items. This was misconstrued in some media reports as an intent to raise prices when demand is highest … We have no plans to do that,” the company told Reuters. Presuming that lowered prices during slow times will eventually rise again, it appears some sort of dynamic pricing will still be taking place.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

Is the apocalypse s’posed be before or during dystopia?

2 Likes

Much like the future, the total collapse of civilization is not evenly distributed.

5 Likes

What I want to know is which comes first: an apocalypse or a dystopia?

1 Like

Generally an apocalypse will come before a dystopia, but it’s not necessary. Sometimes a dystopia can be the result of careful planning.

6 Likes