Apocalypse Watch

The thick brown gunk circulating over Washington is horrible.

The smoke from the Canadian wildfire makes it even worse.

2 Likes

8 Likes

That really resonates with me now. Douglas Adams was a brilliant man.

2 Likes

My phone company forced a smartphone on me last year, and I have tried to turn off every feature I don’t entirely understand

I guess I should look at the built-in weather app

Maybe it’s not terrible

I was hoping there was an SMS-based weather service or something—I don’t want to leave it connected to wifi or mobile data all the time

2 Likes

S’posed to impact MI tomorrow, if it’s not already.

2 Likes

https://www.salon.com/2023/08/02/leprosy-is-probably-endemic-to-central-florida-reports-posing-yet-another-public-health/

3 Likes

I was surprised when I first learned this several years ago:

2 Likes
2 Likes

There’s some flashing, especially early on, so I mostly listened instead of watching, but:

It’s October 1st in Chicago. High temperature today will be 82.

And in this so-called Windy City there is no wind.

4 Likes

Flying back tonight. Had the ‘fun’ of dealing with the deluge in NYC on Friday.

There’s no normal anymore.

3 Likes

Elsewhere in the Midwest…

3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

3 Likes

30 Zombie Movies Ranked by How Much Cooler That Would Be Than How the World Is Actually Ending

1 Like

It’s October 28th. High temperature in NY today: 81 degrees.

I love autumn in New York when it sizzles.

We just had the flip from 80° to 40° overnight. This week we’re looking at three days with lows below 30° and the highest highs being in the low 50°s. I got my yard work done just in time last night just before dark. Expect we won’t see decent weather again until spring.

3 Likes

Ours wasn’t so severe, but it got to 28 last night, and going to be 23 tomorrow night. I was bringing in the last of the still green tomatoes as it rained and got colder and colder.

Where we are, there are going to be several weirdly warm days yet, and judging from the wooly worms, it’s going to be a bad winter, which usually means ice storms rather than snow.

2 Likes

It’s also used for cancer treatment, just in women who are past childbearing age. I had a co-worker who was on it. It was considered a real miracle drug when it first came out; it was really effective. I’m glad they are reconsidering its use now and figuring out how to balance the side effects vs. the treatment effect.

4 Likes