Ask me anything. I have died twice in 2017

It doesn’t really matter if we like it.

I’ll admit that, if people like my work, it’s nice, but what matters is that I like my work (or at least think that I can make something of it). If others don’t care for it, and I know that I’ve accomplished most of what I’ve set out to do, then “Wir können warten” (as Liszt said about his late works). If I haven’t accomplished most of what I set out to do, then my audience can’t tell me something I don’t know.

That’s not to say that I am content with any of my work. I’m a perfectionist, but I’m never going to achieve perfection - no one does, not even Bach or Mozart. That is what makes this calling interesting.

By the way, after a certain age, say 30, starting a piece is always messy, even for experienced composers - this is patience work, and it doesn’t happen overnight. (Older composers, even beginning ones, usually have fairly subtle tastes that they try to exercise - “inspiration” isn’t quite as straightforward as in their youth.)

If you want, PM me your sketch, and we’ll see what you can do to start moulding it into a workable piece (although I won’t be able to get to it for a couple of days - need to help my translation partner with her thesis proposal).

6 Likes

I am gonna take this to a separate thread.

4 Likes

Well, for what it’s worth, I’m glad you at least had the chance to let us know and hang out with us a bit before hanging up the meat suit more permanently. I’ve never had much fear of what might happen, eventually, but maybe a few more lottery tickets in the meantime.

15 Likes

Nothing to ask, but glad you’re still around.

13 Likes

Holy crap, Japh. Welcome back.

I’m hitting the store later today, would you reccomend any specific spirits to pair with my ribs and salad?

7 Likes

If you have other cooks or bartenders come over and break out a bottle of fernet branca, they will quietly nod in respect.

For straight ahead ribs and salad drinks, mint julep, g&t, and trust me on this, mimosas.

Ginger ale is great. The spiciness pairs well with the… Wait for it, I am going to use the forbidden word… Unctousness of good ribs.

And finally club soda and lime. It is hard to improve on perfect.

9 Likes

Ginger ale or ginger beer? The latter makes a much better shandy.

4 Likes

Do find you have any unusual cravings for … graaains?

9 Likes

Quinua do you ask?

Yeah, it takes more than mortality to reap the puns from this word combine!

10 Likes

I’m drinking that right now! Too bad there are no ribs and salad. Is it ok to substitute chicken with leeks and potatoes?

Regardless, I AM toasting your continued life, because I am glad you continue to be among us.

10 Likes

What do you plan to do with the other seven?

5 Likes

Serious answer or joke answer?

5 Likes

Serious first.

7 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

I have used five of nine already. Two in one year. That isn’t great. So, I have voluntarily crossed going to the soil off the list; being a useless drone off the list; and being devoid of a purpose off the list.

That is the serious answer.

13 Likes

I’m glad you spelt that out for us.

8 Likes

I guess you could say you’re wanting…

(••)
( •
•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

GRRRRAAAAIINNNSSS

(And it’s damn good to see you here.)

You mean Buffy was right?

12 Likes

It’s the rite of spring all over again.

4 Likes

Welcome back to the land of the living, and to Elsewhere Cafe. Come set a spelll.

I am interested in a report of the beyond.

6 Likes

It is a joke that will never die. The rite of spring was awful then Disney added dinosaurs too it.

Stravinsky almost ruined dinosaurs.

4 Likes