Ask me anything. I have died twice in 2017

It’s nice! It really doesn’t prescribe itself to one’s beliefs, however this universe came into being sees us fellows in a kind light.

Yeah, bad things happen. These past few years have reinforced the golden rule. So let’s celebrate, that we have each other.

Life is good. Passing to whatever is next is good.

(P.s. god isn’t a white dude with a huge beard)

14 Likes

Have you ever seen the movie Fearless (1993)? I saw it when I was coming to a full understanding of my own mortality, and it really resonated. (That was a while ago. I should see it again to make sure it’s not just goofy.)

2 Likes

I guess this sorta leads into the question… has your experience of having died twice this year changed your feelings one way or another on religion or faith? Or is that something you’d prefer not to answer?

6 Likes

Handlebar mustache? Goatee? Muttonchops? What sort of facial hair does the deity possess?

10 Likes

It has, in a profound way. I will not tell others what to believe. If I did I’d be a jerk. It is also difficult to prove a negative. However besides enormous health care bills, I have yet to see any proof of the… Shall we say vindictive… Aspects of the other side.

The biggest change was losing fear. The first time, I wasn’t prepared for. The second time, it felt more like a vacation. I guess that is the biggest point.

We will, to a person, experience this. And it’s fine.

You don’t hang out with your relatives. There aren’t pearly gates. One is not judged. And unfortunately you don’t turn into a ghost. It is simply peace.

17 Likes

Ironically, a seventies Burt Reynolds 'stache.

7 Likes

Thank jesus it wasn’t a seventies Burt Reynolds 'stache worn ironically.

10 Likes

I appreciate both the candid answer and the spoiler text. Especially the spoiler text! The Bible itself could use a few blurred out sections here and there.

A quick personal story: when I was a kid, my (not very religious beyond churchgoing) family first went to Disney World, my little sister was just barely too old for the “child” ticket price, but looked a lot younger. My mom said she was a child, we got discounted tickets, and went in. Almost immediately my mom collapsed, sobbing, on the ground. We got her up and sat her down and she said “what if that was the last lie I was allowed to tell before they send me to hell?”

I say this because it’s always made me think how awful it would be to live an entire life in guilty paranoia around every single falsehood and misstep being physically judged by a guy with a cartoony halo and big giant book, and how much that particular vision of What Lies Beyond influences so many people. A peaceful vacation sounds like a better idea.

11 Likes

Thank you. The paranoia is why I talk. We are objectively good. Fear and paranoia aren’t needed, while our lives are tough they also trend towards positive.

The golden rule really applies to your story. The worst, and I mean worst response to that is being shown ohYou.jpg. :slight_smile:

Given how over used that meme is, it still might be mean. But you get my drift :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

My otherwise-Catholic aunt doesn’t do confession. “Just me and the big guy,” she says. She assigns herself ways to make up for things like getting against-the-rules discounts as she goes, more balancing the scales than penance.

Let another family ahead of you in line for the teacups ride. Done and no drama.

8 Likes

Is god even human?

9 Likes

Doubtful.

7 Likes

Reading this entire thread today (for the first time) gave me a sense of peace. Don’t know why.

Thanks for sharing, @japh. And for being here so you could. Not many people would be that open.

16 Likes

I am trying to stay on this rock for a long time. I enjoy making dumb dad jokes. And there is some sort of purpose to all of us.

Mine may be a cautionary tale. Others may be inspirational. The best things I can count, are when people have been good to me and I’ve been good to them.

P.s. I’ve recently done a number of things for people I love that have been a long time coming :slight_smile:

20 Likes

I guess that’s our purpose, or at least one of them.

4 Likes

This album cover changed my life.

I don’t think I even knew what a pun was, the first time I saw it.

But I knew I liked it.

9 Likes

Heh, my body is in open revolt :). Some of.the people here know the full story, so I will spare a repeat of the long sordid tale. But hot dayum it jas been an eye opening few months.

If anyone wants to hear the details I can make a new thread that can be ignored by some of the regulars here. They are likely sick of my belly aching. And to conclude, a few pictures from June-August of 2018.

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

24 Likes

YOU LIVE!

Honestly, we would love go hear you out. Brb, making a gin and tonic kn yoir honour.

14 Likes

YAY! Good to hear from you!

Keep us posted.

12 Likes

What is happening with your body? You look a little yellow in the photo. Is it just lighting or are you jaundiced?

12 Likes