Badass Dragoons of the Highlands - Turn 3 - Florence (c.1503)

a unique and special view of the Ponte Vecchio, Nessie!

3 Likes

I am beginning to think that this strange man in the soft clothes is ā€œthe one who seeks to cause troubleā€. Itā€™s not one of the gods, more of a spirit behind misfortune. I wonder this, because I keep running into him. In places far too far from home for my liking. I had just gotten back, found my footing on the blessed soil when some ghost people showed up and kidnapped me to show off to their leaders.

One of their slaves indicated that the blood might never come out of the planks on the ship, but that it was a fine ship otherwise and thanked me for it. They were not, however, so grateful as to take me back home, claiming that there were not enough stores for the journey.

I dried the hearts of my captors and wear them to remind me of the treachery of ghosts.

So here I am, and here he is again. My life goes into upheaval and heā€™s always at the centre of it, though seemingly innocent of it all. That is how the one who seeks to cause trouble works. Especially since he is always there in the times and places where the gods-cursed may gather but not battle.

On the bright side, it is amazing what these ghost people will trade for a handful of pepper. What they do to chocolate does not impress, however.

9 Likes

I am off to Nuremberg - a city of many interesting Celestial Innovations.

Yours in Truth,

Mr. Collins

Collins TN

6 Likes

Florence. Yeah, Florence. They like me there. I had a real good time in Florence.

Well. Kind of a mixed blessing, sort of thing.

I met this real great girl, and we had us some good times. What was her nameā€¦ hmm. You might have heard of her. I used to use them, whaddaya call 'em, pneumatic devices, to help ye remember things. She was mad for meā€¦ Mad! Thatā€™s right, Madeleine. Madeleine de La Tour. Swanky name, right?

Believe it or not, I was singing at her wedding party. Me and Aengus and the boysā€¦ well, Iā€™ll let Dave tell this part of the story:

ā€œWell, she came up to me, and said, ā€˜Hi there, honey,
Howā€™d you like to come along?
ā€˜Cause weā€™re gonna have a party,
Yeah a rock-n-roll party,
Well, weā€™re gonna have a party.ā€™
And before I knew, we were
Rockinā€™ in the parlour.
Rockinā€™ in the parlour.ā€

Yeah, all right Dave,thatā€™ll do. Thatā€™s enough. No, we get it, you were rockinā€™ in the parlour, you said so. Twenty-three times, at least. Yeah, I counted. Christ, mate, piss off already.

Aengus, didnā€™t you fire this bloke already?

So anyway, yeah, I rocked her in the parlour on her wedding night in France. And what a parlour it was! Those Medicis were awful big on sumptuous upholstery, if you know what I mean. No, thatā€™s not what I mean. No, not like Rosie, Madeleine didnā€™t weigh in at nineteen stone, Iā€™m just talking about her pillows.

No, not those pillows, ye daftā€¦

So anyway, weā€™d just finished up our little private command performance, and sheā€™s fanninā€™ herself the way the toffs did back in the Renaissance, when in walks the blushing new groom, the boss Medici, El Queso Grande (or, as Maddy liked to call him, Le Gran Fromage), and she, ever the quick thinker, introduces me as her cousin or uncle or some shit, and Lorenzo and I make with the bows and the flourishes and the how-do-ye-dos, and heā€™s still in a great mood and lookinā€™ forward to his wedding night (not realizinā€™ that I may have primed the pump a wee bit) ā€˜cause he keeps grabbinā€™ at his johnson and readjustinā€™ itā€¦ or anyway, thatā€™s what I thought at the time. He turned out to have enjoyed the show Aengus and I put on for him, I guess. At any rate, within a few months theyā€™d moved to Florence, and insisted I come along as a court musician or similar, and he and Madeleine commissioned a statue of me, carved by one of their pet sculptors whose name I always forget. I think itā€™s still there, right in the heart of Florence.

Whilst that was gettinā€™ carved, Madeleine kept havinā€™ me come visit her at her palazzo, ostensibly to pose for her sculptor guy. He typically left after only ten minutes of sketchinā€™, and Maddy would offer me a drink, weā€™d play a few hands of whist or gin rummy, and one thing would lead to another, and by the time the statue was finished, olā€™ Madeleine was about ready to give birth to her daughter Catherine. Probably just a coincidence, that.

But the worse part was that she and Lorenzo both died shortly after Catā€™s birth. The official cause was plague, but I tellya, I think I have a different idea. And itā€™s related to why Lorenzo kept grabbinā€™ at his junk. I blame him, you want to know the truth. And she was just a young thing, too, maybe 21 at the most. Iā€™d have killed him if the Jack hadnā€™t gotten him first.

But man, I miss those card games.

Psst! Oi! Hey, olā€™ Bon is sensitive about that year, so donā€™t call him on it, but heā€™s not tellinā€™ it true. Bon has always had a taste for wine, women, song, and more wine, so maybe his memoryā€™s not what it might have been, but me, I just go for tea and ciggies, so I have a clearer grasp of the sequence of events. Bon was real sweet on Maddy, more than heā€™d ever let on (and donā€™t believe for a second heā€™d ever forget her name!), and he blames himself for her untimely demise. I donā€™t remember Lorenzo de Medici ever scratchinā€™ his nutsack until weeks after Bon met him. Plague or syphilis or whatever killed the Medicis, I believe it came from Bon, and deep down, Bon believes it too. And so did Lorenzo, which is why Bon and me went on our second world tour that very same year, leaving Florence on stolen horses only two minutes ahead of the Dukeā€™s household guard, and riding balls-out the 2,000 kilometers to Seville. We only paused for a brief gig in Madrid to celebrate our escape, and maybe make a few pesos while we were at it.

That was a hell of a show, but we outdid it once we got to the far side of the Atlantic. Less than five months after we left Spain, we played Argentinaā€™s first rock show at Rio de la Plata.

But letā€™s not get ahead of ourselves.

6 Likes
  Mystical runes appear: 2c4382ec65b15520b578b530e6f2777905b635f3

Time remaining     : 1d 11h 59m
    Submission deadline: 2017-10-13 23:00:00 -0400

@cleveremi @manwich @teknocholer @hadley @justa_little_whinger @miasm @chickied @pogo @strokeybeard @nightflyer

ā€œI have yet to record your intentions. When you have a moment, please let me know what they are.ā€

Mystical runes appear: 02fc77d1cfb4581e12ce555961fa15477b32abb3

Time remaining     : 1d 11h 59m

@tobinl @glutnix @penguinchris

ā€œI have yet to record your intentions. When you have a moment, please let me know what they are.ā€

giphy-tumblr (2)

4 Likes

I finished the blanket for Donnaā€™s baby shower this morning. I hope the size is ok. I wonder if she is having a boy or a girl. Now what do I do with this left over yarn?

9 Likes

Depicting a sword from cubes? what sort of baby shower was this? Do you wish the child to craft mines?

7 Likes

Ah, Florence! Wine (other peopleā€™s cellars), women (other peopleā€™s wives) and song (the cries of men whoā€™ve just discovered the state of their wives and cellars)!

Possibly a vacation might be in order, I hear the Sultanaā€™s a peachā€¦

7 Likes

I hear sheā€™s showing her age.

6 Likes

More of a Tulip, actually.

Collins TN
-Mr Collins

5 Likes

But there are still drinks to be hadā€¦

6 Likes

Well, were anyway. Sorry about that.

LIQUOR853S

6 Likes

IMG_3157

7 Likes

I brought cookies!

6 Likes
  Mystical runes appear: d50230468397a2fc5efb33fcbcf76f2663990463

Time remaining     : 1d 1h 41m

@cleveremi @manwich @teknocholer @hadley @miasm @chickied @tobinl @glutnix @penguinchris

ā€œStill mulling things over? It is a weighty decision. Donā€™t let time run out.ā€

4 Likes

6 Likes

I found a good use for the last of the yarn; I made you a nice neck-warmer.

Itā€™s your favorite color, and I just know how rough you play at school sometimes, so it should protect you from all those other ruffians and immortals, erā€¦ hoodlums rather, on the playground. Now donā€™t look all embarrassed, Iā€™m sure all the other kids will be jealous of you, but just remember to be kind to everyone. Are you listening to me? Hmmm?

8 Likes
  Mystical runes appear: 663b2449ecdfacf4b65b305dc98a621f903d64e0

Time remaining     : 0d 8h 53m

@manwich @hadley @miasm @tobinl @glutnix @penguinchris

ā€œStill mulling things over? It is a weighty decision. Donā€™t let time run out.ā€

1 Like