There ain’t nothing
Nothing you can do

Shazbot Nanu Nanu*

*There Can Be Only One.

8 Likes

8 Likes

photofunny.net

11 Likes

It had been such a perfect day. I’m telling you, man, the Knights of Malta were about as perfect of an audience as you could have ever wanted. Just going absolutely wild, raging, shooting arrows into the air, loud, boisterous, it was like there was a war on it was so much noise, but people were climbing ladders to sit up on the wall and watch the show, just a really frantic vibe from everyone just trying to get in the place and experience this little fort down by the water.

So, without much to do I was kicking back waiting for the show to end, sitting up on some road cases on the side of the stage and accidentally dropped my mug right next to this guy in a dress (I told you it was a crazy audience). Well this guy just goes off in some weird language. I mean, parts of it sounded like they were English, but, well, to be nice, it was a ramble from someone working themselves up to fight or whatever, and I just wasn’t feeling it, you know? Mellow day, hanging out, great crowd, what’s to fight about? I reach back to get this guy a shirt so he’ll chill out and be on his way and suddenly feel a sting to my lower back, right in the ol’ kidney. He’s got some kind of whip-swordy thing and has just decided to rumble.

Well, I’m not going to be pushed around and so I ease out the axe to get the party started and he’s at me again. “This guy’s not getting a shirt now,” I’m thinking, but by then it’s too late. This is why you always ask for 50% up front before the tour, everyone.

10 Likes

[transcript of a scrap of vellum found in the 1503 AD journal of Other Pendragon, Knight]

…the room - so small it cannot hold my head…

…madness, madn… O Fairy Sprites…am I ensorceled still?

…if I sleep they come to me. I saw them last night, dancing around a great cauldron…

…they laughed and ran away.

…the demons dance and sing their songs within my fevered brain…not all my god-like thoughts are defiled

[excerpt from The Diaries of Other Pendragon © 2017 by TrilloCom LLC]

My writings from the three days I spent in my room in Florence, with no meat nor drink, are mostly illegible, and read as the ravings of one in a fever. I am convinced that my mind was unhinged by some fell potion given me at the tavern on the Ponte Vecchio, causing me to fall under the charm of that portrait in the palace room. I tried later to describe it to a street artist, to have something to assist my memory, but his rendition was less than I had hoped for.

And yet, from my delirium, is there sense to be gleaned? I have always thought of the Fairy Sprites of the Marsh as a tale for children, but their avatars reappear throughout the centuries and in many lands in many guises. They are three, as are the Far-Seeing Maidens, but sometimes they appear as one, like Fey Sister Mischief or the Fair Succubus of Morning. (Even the Christians have some confused version of the Three-in-One, as that oily priest in Avignon tried to explain.) They have always been there, and doubtless men will always have a name for them.

But was it my obsession for her, or the poison in my brain, that made me see the face of my Sylvia (not her real name). I know not if my fancy is bred in the heart or in the head. To the list of guises should I add, False Sweet M… ? (Nay, my hand will not write the name!)

I packed my herbs and instruments and left Florence as quickly as I could.

Of my wanderings over the next few years, there is little to tell—heal a peasant’s dropsy here, get a witch’s cat out of a tree there. I met no other Immortals. From time to time news came of great events in the world, but little tempted me. Serving the Ottoman Empire promised great luxuries, but greater drawbacks, even if my bollocks do grow back. Fighting battles in far-off lands only offered bloodshed and terror, and sea voyages the same, with added scurvy and drowning.

But then I heard a wandering minstrel sing of the wonders of Nuremberg, and I resolved to venture there.

8 Likes

Welcome, n00bs.

I’m sorry to announce: the process of assimilating the souls you are acquiring during the Quickening can be downright painful.

Oh dear god…

Not ABBA !

8 Likes

that, from the man who foisted this on the word?

6 Likes

Ennis bends her head in respect as the sky splits and sends an omen of Þórr. It’s over before she realizes it. A silver snake of knowledge strikes into the nest heart of her soul. The curious taste of power lingers, and she is changed just as surely as her first death, deep in the den of great wolf, besides the great ash-white river.

A quickening.

As her fingers continue to tingle, Ennis wonders why Juan, would choose such a curious strategy. A dangerous gambit to repeat oneself, over and over and over.

Juan, Ennis decides, reminded her of a stout bull.

She picks a nameless, yet beautiful, white flower and leaves it in his honor.

8 Likes

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

How can this be!?

Thwarted.

The battle was going well, well for me at least. I never did care for which faction paid me, honestly, I was simply there to smash heads. And smash heads I did. To revel in the blood, brains and bone, this was my home. As I stood admiring the death around me a movement, more a shadow, caught my eye. It made the hairs of my neck stand on end. HA! I would have enjoyed that a bit longer had I only known. I dropped the iron rod I used to bludgeon these peons about me, for I sensed something, like a cold wind cutting to my core.

The shape slipped between the soldiers, and to either side they wilted into death. Yet the figure did not notice them, it bore down directly on me. I drew Pokolj, and for moment reflected on the long centuries that had past since I fought the magnificent creature, Nessie.

I could see, then, it was no shadow, no wraith, but a man. A skinny, dancing man. Who rolled death before him like a carpet. There was something in his movement, so fluid, flickering, I thought I knew it.

That movement was in the flames as I burned the altar while sacking the Cathedral of Salona, in the ripple of the curtains when I strangled my first priest, the rivulets of blood that flood into a river when I slit the throats of every monk in the monastery at Žica. This little dancing man had always followed me I realized, and his movement was pure, delicious, blasphemy.

What more is to be said? My blood boiled, my ears sang, I knew then it was one of Us, but no ordinary Immortal. Still, I lived to destroy. So I charged, I struck at him, but for every savage blow I swung he simply cut me twice as deep with ease. Oh, I nearly had him, slithering moves and all, but it was not to be my day.

Did you know, even as your head has left your shoulders, we Immortals bear witness to our own ends in this world? I felt him reach deep inside, and with a crooked smile he ripped my essence from me, then strutted off into the darkness, singing softly

Take it easy babe
Take it easy babe
Feels alright
Take it, take it easy babe…

12 Likes
8 Likes

IMG_1982

The battle had gone great.
I was cracking heads off left and right.
When there were no more heads to crack I called for my sake. Good sake in Kyoto.
I didn’t notice the thunder. I thought it was firecrackers celebrating my victory.
He snuck up behind me. I thought he was just another drunk pirate.
But then he used his number two pencil to slice off my head. He just erased my neck and my head fell off. Boy I did not see that coming. Best trick I’ve seen in a few millennia. For all my aggressive clomping and chomping he just absorbed all my energy.
But he forgot about my pet jellyfish Moe. Moe is loyal to the end and beyond. I know Moe will avenge me.

Kanpai bag of hammers

10 Likes

Sad news. Many Immortals have died, and for what? Why must we combat when we meet? Juan and The Ratchet are gone before I had the honour of meeting them.

The Lady Maud, the tall lace peddler whom I met in Avignon, has lost her head. I had hoped to meet her again and apologize. Our last encounter had us screaming insults at each other like fishwives, and although she started it, I regret letting her bait me into descending to her level. At open jest nights at the alehouses, my japes describing her as “stale, flat, and unprofitable”, and “la beldam sans merci” received much laughter, but they were unkind and unworthy of one sworn to chivalry. Shrew-shaming is never appropriate; I understand that now.

As well, I wanted to ask her about the sword she carried, a rusty, much-neglected old longsword that she boasted of winning from the Lady of the Lake in a drunken dice game. Something about it looked familiar. I suppose it is now lost forever somewhere off the coast of South America.

8 Likes

I am choking.

I try to scream, but my mouth fills with soil.

It is happening again. I thought this torture was over. I have died this death so many times before.

But wait.

This is different. There is no burning.

I claw at the ground, I dig out, finger by torturous finger. Slowly, slowly I progress, dying a thousand deaths.

Until eventually I feel air. Hands grab at me, pull me free. My eyes sting, I cannot see. Eventually, my vision returns.

I do not know these people, these faces. There is sand, there is dust. No sea, no volcano, no ash choking my lungs.

These are not my memories.

Then, I awake.

I am lying outside Fort St Elmo. Left for dead. My opponent lies here too. I do not remember what happened. There was light, and fury, and that was all.

And yet he is not just beside me. He is inside me. I feel his presence, ghostly, at the edge of my consciousness. Were these his memories? Was this why we had been drawn together through the centuries? Who was he?

I bury him, simply. I think this is what he would have wanted.

12 Likes

It happened just that way.

13 Likes

I have always felt that I am better suited to a life of natural philosophy than the soldier’s career. As a chirurgeon and aspiring physician I have acquired much knowledge of anatomy, and when I had the chance I have studied subjects ranging from astrology to alchemy.

When I heard whispers in the universities of the work of the Pole Copernicus, who was about to publish a work of radical astronomical theory, my first thought was concern that the Pope, fearful of his position in the struggle against the heretic Luther, might attempt to suppress the work.

Worse, Mr. Collins, that learning-sponge, had announced that he intended to travel to Nuremberg to acquire a copy of Copernicus’ book, and I feared for the free dissemination of knowledge if he got his hands on the master’s intellectual property.

An adventurer’s instincts cannot be easily erased. My motto has always been, “Say Yes to the Quest!”. I saddled my destrier and set off on the road to Nuremberg to meet Copernicus and offer my protection.

Nuremberg, in the heart of Brass Valley, attracted natural philosophers and artificers of all sorts. There was fanciful talk of clocks so small that people could wear one about their necks, but no one questioned the sort of society that would result when everyone walked about obsessed with the time, ignoring polite discourse with their neighbours. Some proposed that a cunningly-contrived pair of lenses would allow anyone to see things too far away for the eye, but no one considered the grave threat to privacy that this would pose. All in all, I found the city disappointingly lacking in professors of ethics.

I sent my respects to Master Copernicus and proposed that we meet the following day. At dawn, however, I awoke to voices in the street and a familiar harpstring sensation, and looked out of the window to see Mr. Collins, in a choleric mood most unlike him, loudly addressing a strange being wearing a plain brown wrapper. She (for it was a she) threw off her garment, revealing herself to be a member of that family of large deer, known as moose, that I had seen when I travelled with Prince Madoc to the New World.

Her gesture seemed to enrage Mr. Collins even more, but he got control of himself and said coldly, “Hello. My name is Mr. Collins, Librarian. You bit my sister. Prepare to die.” Raising a hefty-looking scroll above his head, he assumed a stance in the “drunken pedant” fighting style that he must have picked up in Beijing.

Refusing to be cowed, the moose pawed the ground and snorted. “I am Maple, Daughter of Pudf, Moosekin of the Clan Clamphoof. Your sister deserved it!” Drawing an ornate sword, she charged.

Lady Maple struck a ferocious blow that cut deeply, but Mr. Collins got the measure of her sword and skillfully deflected her next thrusts with deft little movements of his scroll, all the while criticizing her grip and suggesting that she work on her follow-through. The constant belittling was starting to have its effect when Mr. Collins switched to a more aggressive style and began to taunt her, describing how he was going to hang her head above his fireplace, which I personally think was tacky, but it had its effect, and after a few more minutes of his goading I heard a sickening thud and realized that it was over. Yes, he had talked her head off.

I got my autographed copy of De revolutionibus orbium coelestium and left Nuremberg forever.

12 Likes

The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated. I mean, I am dead. How I died was a crying shame, to be sure.

Before the sun awoke, I rose to meditate the morning of the publication. To read about natural philosophy is such a pleasure. I wished to honour the creators and clear my mind for breathing in new concepts about this world of ours.

Attempting to return to lodgings before I was detected by the morning throng of Nuremburg, on the road back into the city my good friend the immortal Mr Collins approached. I trust him indeed, and we have met many times. Something was … awry… did he not recognize me in this gloomy twilight before the day?

He swung, missing my side. I attempted to block, but somehow accidentally connected with his ear. This is what trying to block a friends vicious attacks without dropping my hood will do. I tried to fend off his blows, but alas. Reaching deep within, I managed to land a mighty blow on his side, but he did me through.

Collapsing on my knees, he approached with a grin on his face. He murmured something I could not hear, then decapitated me, knocking my head back through my hood. Only now did Mr Collins realise his folly. Crestfallen, falling to his own knees, he has brought his long time friend to the end.

I begin to experience the quickening in a new way, one with more peace than I had felt it before. It was different as I was the soul being brought under submission. And different again, for that soul was going to help a friend.

Many years later, a drink was named after Tom.

12 Likes

Woof woofwoof ruff bark bark bark!
Ruffbark, woof woof grrrrrrrr arfbark yipyipyipyip! Woof!

And that’s how I kept my head and lived to fight another day.

11 Likes

For the past month I had enjoyed the hospitality of the Sultan’s kitchens, cellars and harem, albeit without his knowledge. I had finally inveigled my way into the Sultana’s quarters to spend an afternoon engaging the Sultana’s pleasures. Having ensured that a repeat performance was on the cards I slipped out of her apartments with some haste, attempting to avoid the rather large eunuchs set to guard her from people like me.

I skidded round a corner and came face to face with a statuesque woman. I could tell that she was older than her looks. Mature, like a fine vintage ready to be uncorked. Intrigued, I turned on the charm, but she was having none of it.

One-two, one-two, and through and through, her vorpal blade went snicker-snack.

I mostly felt surprise as the sharp, clean pain went through my neck. Clearly, dinner was out of the question.

My body collapsed and I felt pain as my skull bounced across the tiled floor. She picked me up by the scalp and stared into my eyes. My vision dimmed and I smiled as my last thought went through my brain. “Did I at least give good head?”

10 Likes

We Immortals continue to favor “forward” fighting stances. In the early rounds, Reckless was clearly favored.

In this round, a third of all chosen stances were Aggressive, which is the best possible stance for facing Reckless.

Amongst the 19 surviving immortals, the stances (and therefore bonuses) are:

stance		%			best counter-stance
Reckless	26%				Agressive
Agressive	24%				Normal
Normal	    14%				Defensive
Cautious	19%				Reckless
Defensive	17%				Cautious

Notably, T. D. Himself has chosen Aggressive for 12 of his 18 stances. T.D. Himself also has 8 strength and a quickening, so he is looking like the most dangerous Immortal.

NOMRAL is the best stance against T.D. Himself. NORMAL is also the best stance against the other three who prefer the Aggressive stance (Hamlar @tobinl, Jane @MalevolentPixy, and Bon MCavoy @Donald_Petersen )

The other four Individuals prominent for using a single stance ( eg Maple Clamphoof @Glutnix , Shemp @Hadley, The Worker @manwich , and Juan @strokeybeard ) perished this round. Notably, each focused on a different stance.

6 Likes

The Court of Suleiman the Magnificent (1520-1566):

Realizing too late that other Immortals have clashed, Mom (@old) busies herself with court intrigue, gossip, and interesting new recipes.

Harold! Take that bath towel off your head this instant. I know when you’re mocking me!

I was hoping to see my friend Ennis today. We were going to meet at the food court at the mall to talk about what to read for book club next month. But, she called me at the last moment and do you know what she said?

Harold?

Harold!

Yes, well, she said that Juan of her other friends was losing her head and needed a little face time. What kind of talk is that? Anyhow, I can’t wait until next week to find out what that was all about. Plus, I was really looking forward to a Cinnabon. Now finish getting dressed and you can come sit and watch my show with me. I washed your snuggie and everything. And there’s cake on the counter in there if you’d like some.

11 Likes