BBS Questions: How Do I... ❓ ⁉

If you have a question about how to do things with Discourse, Markdown, HTML, BBcode, or any other site issues, post them here!

6 Likes

I’ll start. I notice some topics have nifty tags on them, but I haven’t figured out how to use them yet. My Google-fu has failed me on this :cry:. Can anyone help?

P.S. I’m on my phone most of the time, so maybe that’s why I’m not seeing a tag interface?

3 Likes

That one I can help with: Having created a topic in the mobile web interface, go back to the title:

And click the little pencil to edit the title, and you also get to edit the category and tags:

5 Likes

Can anyone create tags? If not, can we request one?

6 Likes

TL1 or above can tag topics, but only TL3 or above can create new tags.

I’m happy to create tags if you ask.

5 Likes

Yup, it works! Thank you!

(If you feel this would be better categorized under Site Maintenance, moving it’s fine too. I figured any newbies we might eventually attract would probably look under Help first.)

7 Likes

Is it worth linking-in some of the resources that https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/pushpin-bbs-style-manual/75694 , in the other place mentions? (Maybe as a separate FAQL topic wiki-thing that satisfactorily answered questions could get summarised into?)

5 Likes

Oh, in case I forget: This is good idea. Nice one, @Nightflyer.

4 Likes

It would be good to have some sort of instructional/style topic somewhere. I don’t know if we should link to the old BBS or make our own version. (I lean towards making our own, but linking is good for now.)

3 Likes

I very much agree with rolling our own.

There were, however, some useful links to markdown/discourse references elsewhere on t’Internet in that other topic that we could also link to in ours. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t find the topic it was in, but recently I spotted a post with some lovely colored text boxes. My Google-fu is incredibly weak tonight; I can’t find the directions anywhere, except for

<span style="color:red">red text here</span>

which isn’t working for me. <— That last bit should have been red.

Could anybody pretty please explain how to code colored text (and/or text boxes) in Markdown?

Thank you!

4 Likes

It may have been my posts; I’m not actually using colored text boxes. Instead, I’m using the html correction tags: ins and del.

I would like to corekt correct this sentence.

I would like to <del>corekt</del> <ins>correct</ins> this sentence.

I hope this helps!

9 Likes

Yes, that’s what I saw.

nope yup yup yup

This is fun. Thank you very much! :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

red text here

Testing.

3 Likes

Looking at what I can online there should be a semicolon after red but before the second quote but apart from that can’t get to work either.
https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_styles.asp

2 Likes