Biden Our Time

Though I can’t imagine a GOP candidate more unlike Trump than Dewey.

6 Likes

William Jennings Bryan, during his 2nd run for POTUS, inspired the term “hold your nose and vote”.

5 Likes

ds9-worf-facepalm

This election. I tell ya.

6 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

Here’s the next TikTok star, I predict:

4 Likes
3 Likes

Clearly I’m in that kind of mood today:

Residents of American Samoa are politically disenfranchised, with no voting representation in the U.S. Congress. American Samoa is the only permanently inhabited territory of the United States in which citizenship is not granted at birth, and people born there are considered “non-citizen nationals” with limited rights.

If I’m understanding that (and the article shared upthread) correctly, they have no voting rights in an actual election, but could have influence over the candidate chosen at the DNC. Interesting… (something something superdelegates)

I support granting citizenship and voting rights to American Somoa, as well as all other US territories, pending a clearly self-determined process. Does anyone know the status of any such efforts?

5 Likes

They’re particularly on-point in this segment. By “they” I mean not just Seth, but the writers and the graphics people.

2 Likes

… IIRC a judge recently tried to extend citizenship to A.S. people, on the grounds that, you know, it all sounds like a bunch of bullshit, but it was overturned on appeal

In American Samoa, local politicians don’t like the idea of U.S. citizenship because they want independence instead, or because they perceive citizenship as a burden, or whatever

Not everybody wants to be American :thinking:

3 Likes

I can sympathize with that.

1 Like

Of course, self-determination is key to this. I can’t imagine staying a territory is mutually beneficial, though.

Unsurprisingly, I support efforts to make being a US citizen a more desirable outcome as well.

2 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

A Trumanesque moment:

3 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Regardless let’s hope salaries increase. But I’m not holding my breath.

4 Likes

3 Likes