Biden Our Time

It didn’t even take a week. I remember hearing it at least that soon after Biden’s inauguration

1 Like

to be fair, it wasn’t a campaign promise. he said it AFTER he was inaugurated. but yeah, he really should just fire that guy.

1 Like

Oh geez… really? Still. I kind of feel like maybe he should be at work in the middle of a pandemic that’s taking about people with conditions like stage IV cancer left and right…

Yep.

Cancer and all, I still agree.

2 Likes
4 Likes

There is a reason I picked a pun that leaned towards “meh”.

Simply by not being actively and openly malevolent, he will do some good. But it also means a lot of things will stay status quo fucked up. And some things will even get worse.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Compared to most of the non-apology “apology” statements seen lately… it’s at least a decent start.

2 Likes

Right up to the “this is not who I am.” Uh, yeah, it is buddy. It may not be who you want to be, but if it truly weren’t who you were, you wouldn’t have done it.

4 Likes

I mean… people do screw up sometimes. I’ve backed up and eaten my own words like so much shoe leather at least once.

Doesn’t undo anything, of course. And it’s up to the future to hold him to his assessment, both of himself and of his actions.

I’ll take something like this and a resignation over an “I’m sorry someone was offended” any day.

6 Likes

Hence the “not who I want to be”, idea. Acknowledge what you’ve done and that you want to be better. That you’ve discovered a weakness and want to improve.

1 Like
5 Likes

I hope one of the first things she does is change the name of this agency, and erase the words “American Indian” from all of its literature to be replaced with “Native American”. Indian affairs go through SecState.

5 Likes

I agree with the sentiment, but as I understand it, a lot of Americans accept the term ‘Indian’ as part of their heritage, and see changing it to ‘Native American’ as whitewashing.

Similarly many would prefer ‘black’ vs ‘African American’.

It’s not my place to tell people what to call themselves, but I do appreciate that a representative who actually represents them finally has a chance to choose, at least.

6 Likes

This is ultimately the way I feel about it. The American Indian Movement was born out of a specific political context, guided by the people it represented. ‘Native American’ was in use for a while and the US government adopted it during the Civil Rights era. Some native people feel that was a slight to their self-determination, done to hit back at AIM, or an attempt to re-impose order on a people they were losing control over. It’s not a trivial task to refer to hundreds of tribes and bands as one thing.

6 Likes

It’s complicated, certainly.

5 Likes

Indeed. And like so many outsiders, I want to do the respectful thing.

2 Likes

Back to the tan suit and dijon mustard style of complaints about the President…

5 Likes

I’m amazed they’re not comparing them to SS attack/guard dogs.

2 Likes

But that would be a compliment, surely?

3 Likes