Bureau of Un-Googleables

Has she tried asking the publisher? Or failing that, asking at the public library?

4 Likes

Right?

5 Likes

Is there a service like that for music?

“it’s a Cake song, but it’s the one with the trumpet. It goes do do do, de do do do do, de do do. No, not that one. Not that one either. Not that one. Listen: do do do, de do do do… No, wait…”

Which circle of hell is it on?

9 Likes

This is a great idea. I will ask mom for details. Would mean so much to her to find the recipe she treasured so much. As she is aging her memory is slipping and it’s just so scary for her as she misplaced things or forgets. I think having a familiar thing back would mean a lot to her.

7 Likes

Isn’t the IBM webmaster like that for everything? I can’t remember which company it is that has a webmaster that answers all.

1 Like

Yep, but with less listening to off-key singing.

1 Like

Having pulled a shift on that chat I can tell you they’ll most likely appreciate an interesting challenge.

4 Likes

I found that although Gourmet purports to have its recipes archived online, the ones from the 80s and 90s are apparently absent from the collection. Of course.

5 Likes

Maybe it was 1978 or 1979.

2 Likes

Searching for “Lamb en croute” raisers a 404 error, which Chrome adorably offers to translate from Welsh (the error message is in English).

5 Likes

Do you know how we make contact? That seems like a useful resource for this thread.

I’ve just always hit the page and used chat, but that doesn’t seem to be online at the moment. There’s email and text options available at the link.

3 Likes

Because it’s Saturday, dingus, and they went home at 5 p.m.

4 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Ok, got the scoop. The magazine was likely from the 70’s, possibly late 60’s or early 80’s. It had a basket of brown eggs on the cover. I remember seeing it and it had a very 70’s aesthetic to the photo so I agree, probably 70’s.

The recipe was two recipes, for lamb and the crust, which was a brioche bread.

8 Likes

Song I had on cassette recorded from Prairie Home Companion. Comedic duo, possible husband/wife. Strange song with surreal lyrics. Hook: “Who am I? Who am I? I don’t even know. Who I was, who I was just a week ago. Who am I? Who am I? I wish I wish I knew. By the way, by the way. Who the hell are you?” Lyrics mention Walter Cronkite in a field of daffodils.

I distinctly remember a cover of Consumer Reports from the 1980s where they reviewed the Yugo. I remember it having a white knuckled gentleman behind the wheel of a Yugo as a semi comes barreling down behind him.

Despite numerous web searches I’ve never been able to find this cover.

Does anybody else remember this?

1 Like

This one?

10 Likes

Have you perused here?

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/gourmet

Man, it’s 1 am and now I have to eat some cheese after scrolling through those.

Just found this:

The Easter part seems promising for lamb recipes, as we all know you’re supposed to eat your gods whilst remembering them.

Seriously though, I have to go eat some cheese now.

Huh, cheese might be my god?

14 Likes

Yes! That’s the one. #bbsdelivers

Good find! Now I really wanna know what they thought of the C128.

Thank you!

6 Likes