But really isn't it ALWAYS Halloween, Halloween, Halloween! šŸ‘»

No new album that Iā€™m aware ofā€¦

They played Temple of Love although not the others. Heavy on tracks from Vision Thing, as I suppose they suit live shows well, but with songs from all albums, as well as a number of unrecorded songs (which were good, so I wish theyā€™d actually release them)

3 Likes

The most fun Iā€™ve ever had on public transit was riding on the People Mover when the local Anime convention was downtown. The cars were full of
cosplayers. Some people had no clue and were looking around a little nervously. Me? I admired the costumes and was grinning like mad. :grinning:

10 Likes
6 Likes

Cool! I assume it was a good timeā€¦

BTW, why does their website look like it was made in 1998?

http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/

Wow! Also, very glitchy and weird, much like websites in 1998ā€¦ Also, no US dates (although one Mexican date)ā€¦

4 Likes

Given the text you can find when looking at the sourceā€¦

Itā€™s not our job to throw baubles at your browser.
If you want to see juggling, go watch clowns. You know who they are.
Never mind. You can always listen to the records or go see the band.
Thatā€™s what itā€™s all about.
This site carries no advertising and sets no cookies.
No macromedia flash or java or javascript needed. Best viewed with any browser - except AOL and whatever obscureware Spencerā€™s using this week.

ā€¦Iā€™d say that Andrew probably coded it himself :grin:

7 Likes

That lookedā€¦ uncomfortable.

2 Likes

Interesting as always.

6 Likes

So basically these guys are responsible for the pop culture of my childhood.

4 Likes

That is Bob Burns in his Kogar costume as the Gorilla.
Bob is an amazing archivist of Hollywood sci-fi and horror props and ephemera. I highly recommend the book It Came From Bobā€™s Basement.

4 Likes

Iā€™m the dapper gent in the back.

11 Likes

You are a LOT younger than I would have supposed!

5 Likes

Oh they donā€™t neglect him

2 Likes

Let the revels begin!

Multi-gendered nudity, fetishism, dressing up, and morbidity.

Highly recommended.

ETA: Probably should have posted something more traditional to re-start the thread. But, the hell with it, itā€™s done now.

3 Likes

Halloween is a happy time to me. So NO ITā€™S NOT ALWAYS HALLOWEEN!

4 Likes

Some Halloween chain mail things.

I also have a pumpkin bell I want to put on a collar but I need more orange rubber rings first.

10 Likes

Like this:
IMG_20201002_121101_1

10 Likes

Ohhhhh, I have the same Cthulhu friend. The other two belong to my partner.

6 Likes

I got it at a comic book convention back in the Aughts.

2 Likes

I think all ours came from ThinkGeek.

3 Likes

The VVitch: A New-England Folktale (2015)

Dir: Robert Eggers

A highly religious 17th century New England family leaves the safety of the plantation to live in the wilderness. The newborn baby mysteriously disappears, an event ultimately blamed on a witch. In addition, crop failure, sibling rivalry, budding sexuality, and religious zealotry threaten to destroy the family from within as dark forces threaten from without.

Enjoyable up to a point, but overrated, at least by my lights. And ultimately disturbing in a not at all good way.

This film has got great atmosphere, but there were things that rubbed me the wrong way. The King Jamesā€™ English certainly aided the atmosphere, but if youā€™re going to go that route, perhaps it would be a good idea to make certain the lines are crisp and clear. As pure text, KJE is nowhere near as difficult as Shakespeare, but I generally donā€™t have trouble parsing performed Shakespeare as Shakespearean actors generally know how to enunciate. (Or maybe it was the recording at fault rather than the actors here. Perhaps both.)

Also, I didnā€™t appreciate the filmā€™s basic approach to the supernatural. This is a family with so many stresses upon it that supernatural forces arenā€™t needed to tear it apart. This may be merely personal preference, but I think it would be a richer film if the supernatural elements were treated ambiguously, as something possibly real, possibly imagined by the characters. (To express this preference is itself a criticism cliche, I fear.) Maybe that was the filmmakersā€™ intent, but it sure seemed to me that the events in the film couldnā€™t have all happened unless the witch was real.

And finally we come to the end credits, which managed the rare trick of making me like a film less than I did before the credits started. (The Dawn of the Dead remake also did this.) The end credits start out by saying that the film is based upon folk tales, diaries, and real witch trial records. So, they have taken real life events where innocent people were tortured and killed out of mass hysteria and twisted things around so that witches are real and dangerous, and therefore the witch hangers were completely justified in their extremism. Look, I can accept horror movies making witches the bad guys, but to use these records this way, to piss on the memories, however faint, of the wrongly accused like this is just wrong.

5 Likes