But really isn't it ALWAYS Halloween, Halloween, Halloween! đŸ‘»

YOU LIKE ZELAZNY? Awesomesauce!

Read his stuff way back when I was a teen, cos brother was reading it.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, he’s my partner’s favorite author.

My favorites are Creatures of Light and Darkness, and Lord of Light. I also really like A Night in the Lonesome October, it’s such a weird one, and very Halloween relevant.

I’d only read Creatures of Light and Darkness before meeting my partner.

5 Likes

I think my favorite was Roadsigns.

1 Like

What I read was Chronicles of Amber.

2 Likes

I loved those. My first noire fantasy anti-hero. But his family were assholes.

2 Likes

omg, don’t get me started! i’ve loved Zelazny since i was about 10-12. Amber series of course, but also Eye of Cat, To Die in Italbar, and especially Lord of Light. why they haven’t made the Amber series into a Game of Thrones-like miniseries, i have no idea. it’s so aggravating. it’s perfect for it!

EDIT:

omg, thanks for reminding me! it’s time to read “A Night In The Lonesome October”! i’m only 3 days behind!

3 Likes

You just reminded me that I dunno where my copy of Ray Bradbury’s “The Halloween Tree” is! I do have a copy of “Something Wicked This Way Comes”, though.

2 Likes

Another scary, though not necessarily Halloween-themed trilogy is Koko, Mystery, and The Throat, all by Peter Straub. He to me is the white-collar king of horror writing, lol.

(sick of typing quote marks, lol)

1 Like

Return to Glennascaul aka Orson Welles’ Ghost Story (1953)

Dir: Hilton Edwards

During one of the breaks in filming Othello, Welles appeared in this charming little Irish ghost story. Nothing groundbreaking cinematically, Welles isn’t credited as director, but merely narrates and cameos as himself. (Although the opening sequence, set in the studio where Welles is filming Othello does seem to bear his mark.) Good old fashioned fun.

The video starts with an introduction by Peter Bogdanovich which gives more background info.

2 Likes

omg, “Something Wicked” is one of my favorites, too – i need to haul that out and watch it. the movie wasn’t perfect by any means, but Jonathan Pryce is fantastic and worth watching for him alone. Plus, it’s an interesting addition to the Disney canon, when they were trying to move away from the kid movies and animation, and were willing to try other stuff. (see also The Black Hole)

4 Likes

Jason Robards was good
and Pam Grier, too, for what she had to do. But I remember the atmosphere of it, more than anything; the sets, the lighting, the music.

Eee, Gene Kelly was Ray’s pick when he wrote in 1958 - now THAT’S SCARY! I don’t think too much of his dramatic skills, except maybe in “Inherit the Wind”.

3 Likes

Gene Kelly was Ray’s pick to direct, so his acting skills need not have entered into it. Although it’s true, I don’t recall him directing anything like Something Wicked.

I liked the movie of SWTWC, but I thought it was merely pretty good as compared to the greatness of the novel. Too long since I’ve seen it to go into great detail, although for one thing, I recall it being pretty obvious that there was some re-shooting involved, which may have made the film a bit unfocused, the director’s vision conflicting with the studio’s. (Disney, at the time, periodically produced films with darker, more mature content, but then somewhere during production would feel squeamish or insecure about this content, often hobbling the films before release. See also, The Black Hole and The Watcher in the Woods.)

1 Like

OOPS, misread it.

1 Like

oh yeah - i didn’t mean it as a slight to anyone else in the film at all – it’s just that Pryce’s acting is really just SO good, it makes the movie for me. i really wish someone would attempt to make this one again, and do the book justice. give it more time, really get into just how sad, creepy, and lost the Autumn People really are.

4 Likes

I didn’t like the animated “The Halloween Tree”, though.

2 Likes

IMG_20201004_220328_1

3 Likes

Dio lead Black Sabbath from 1980.

1 Like

I don’t have a reason to make them, but I still kind of want to make them.

8 Likes