But really isn't it ALWAYS Halloween, Halloween, Halloween! šŸ‘»

Will the next parts be confession?

2 Likes

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

https://tubitv.com/movies/575211/shopping-for-fangs

A young housewife being sexted by a waitress loses her cell phone and her husbandā€™s co-worker thinks heā€™s a werewolf ā€“ welcome to Los Angeles!

Only marginally Halloweeny, but hey itā€™s got dressing up, bloodshed, and a werewolf! Early work from co-directors Quentin Lee and Justin Lin and an early performance from John Cho. Basically the kind of indie film that became trendy in the ā€˜90s, but with a cast made up almost exclusively of twenty something Asian-Americans. The contemporary reviewers, who were immersed in this sort of thing, didnā€™t seem too keen, but I liked it a lot. Not a lot of depth, Iā€™ll admit, but plenty of charm (and nostalgia).

4 Likes

4 Likes
5 Likes

Happy Halloween!

2 Likes
10 Likes

Why we like scary things: The science of recreational fear

From peek-a-boo to Halloween haunted houses, research shows that recreational fear can teach us to face scary situations

5 Likes
2 Likes

Addendum

As a bit of a Halloween greeting I sent the complete shadow person tome to a few friends. One of them replied:

Very good read. My youngest has seen hat man crossing my hallway towards the wall and out the apt. She told me a few times and was scared. She also gets sleep paralysis til this day. A shadow man has sat on her chest and she would wake up screaming and gasping for air.

I wish I hadnā€™t read her email before I went to bed last night.

Her ā€œyoungest,ā€ by the way, is an adult. In her mid-20s, I think.

3 Likes

I had sleep paralysis once. Thought I saw a hooded creature of some kind. It was awful.

Iā€™ve also had the reverse, where while dreaming Iā€™ve thrashed about. That one is called REM sleep behavior disorder.

They are opposites ā€“ normally there is a paralysis while dreaming. The first one is when the paralysis continues after waking. The other is where the paralysis fails while dreaming.

Reading your messages about this, I wonder if pareidolia plays into it? Iā€™ve noticed that a lot, e.g., looking for faces in faux marble linoleum for fun. But it also scared me once when I woke up and sneezed, and thought Iā€™d sneezed out a spider. But it was just a pattern on the kleenex. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Halloween turned out a little sad this year. Weā€™re in a new place thatā€™s a nice walkable neighborhood where tons of kids walk by every day on their way to/from school. So my wife and daughter decided to break out the yard decorations and put a lot of work into setting up, including fog machine, lights, speakers, and a new projector, got dressed up, bought tons of candy to give out.

We got a grand total of 5 trick-or-treaters.

None of our neighbors decorated or anything. From what I hear, the kids all went to ā€˜trunk-or-treatā€™ in a parking lot somewhere, a downtown thing, and/or had their parents drive them to a richer neighborhood a few blocks away. I guess if theyā€™re doing that, it kinda makes sense that the neighbors didnā€™t bother.

But we decided weā€™re going to keep doing it anyway, and maybe if they see us doing it, some of the neighbors will too, and the kids will know to come by and itā€™ll catch on in a few years.

10 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes

pareidolia would be more fun if it didnā€™t come with anxiety and paranoia :grimacing:

4 Likes

Saw these outside my local grocery store at the end of July!

And picked up a pumpkin spice creamer on Friday!

11 Likes

It takes time and a careful amount of consideration to prep for the objectively best holiday.

9 Likes

My favorite Halloweā€™en wallpaper, by the godly Hayes Roberts!

8 Likes