But really isn't it ALWAYS Halloween, Halloween, Halloween! 👻

from

6 Likes

11 Likes

Photo postcard of Bob and Jo Liggett - the 2014 Circleville, Ohio Pumpkin Show winners - with their champion 1,964 pound absolute unit. The annual festival starts the third Wednesday in October.

Photo by Nancy Radcliff of the Circleville Herald.

“Tilli the aardvark has her amazing sniffer going while she inspects keeper Brynn’s homegrown, 53-pound Cinderella pumpkin! :jack_o_lantern: Tilli’s care team punctured holes in the giant pumpkin and filled it with yogurt for a special treat.“

6 Likes

from

7 Likes

I have to ask, 1964 pounds - is that from a single growing season, or do they somehow keep it alive and growing for several years to get to that size?

7 Likes

I think it’s a single growing season. The climate they’re usually grown at is too freezing throughout the winter to sustain above-ground fruit.

At least, I’ve never seen pumpkins grown in tropical areas. AFAIK, they need the first frost to get sweeter, like kale.

8 Likes

One season. One effing season! XD XD

You can buy seeds for those special types who get so gigantic. I just got a mental image of such a punkin in my postage-stamp sized backyard, and had a jolly good giggle. I only wish the dimensions got mentioned.

7 Likes

1b0a85dd133f273ebf400c1b78ef4a26

6 Likes

I spotted one of these when I was running some errands the other day.
43c50543e91444ae340d7b29737a084f

9 Likes

6 Likes

4 Likes

I suppose Christmas is precisely equal to Halloween.

(Decimal 25 = Octal 31)

4 Likes

Hey, now, we already have a thread for math jokes.

7 Likes

Perhaps it’s a literary joke – I stole it from Asimov’s Black Widowers story, “The Family Man.”

4 Likes

6 Likes

8 Likes

2016-10-10C-380x480

10 Likes

Don’t be fooled by the headline. A very interesting interview.

5 Likes

Back around late February I watched both Shinings (the Kubrick movie and King’s own miniseries version) and the sequel (Doctor Sleep). They’re quite different and each have their good points. It’s like roughly similar stories from alternate-universes.

I like that interview, reminds me of how he writes in his introductions and notes to readers, or in On Writing. Sense of humor, absurdity, and playfulness, along with a little bit of depth.

5 Likes
4 Likes