Canning, preserving, recipes, etc

The contest! I’m so bummed.

3 Likes

Harvested garlic earlier in the week, braided some and the rest, chopped and covered in olive oil.

Result: 4 half-pints of chopped garlic in oil, 3 braids. Also, zero vampires, and my fingers still smell somewhat after days and I don’t know how many washings.

10 Likes

ooh, be careful about preserving garlic in olive oil. heat it to a certain temp before eating it, to avoid botulism.
http://theolivepress.com/news-blog/be-aware-of-the-risks-of-botulism-with-homemade-garlic-infused-oil

6 Likes

Will do! Garlic toast is my favorite

ETA: please don’t worry too much. The garlic is cleaned well before chopping, and the jars are stored in the fridge.

4 Likes

This is literally the first thing I thought.

Working with food scientists and microbiologists might sometimes be the best diet program, ever.

4 Likes

I really need to learn how to take better care of my knives.

3 Likes

Just finished making pesto with mostly backyard produce. (Olive oil’s from the store.)
a very big bowl of basil
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup walnuts

9 Likes

I use pignoli instead of walnuts.

5 Likes

Very traditional, pignoli. We have two walnut trees motivating my choice of nut ingredient.

Hey, whatever happened to that cookbook we were making at the other place?

6 Likes

We were making a cookbook?

Your talk of pesto reminded me of this recipe:

1. Fry bacon in skillet. While bacon is frying, add chopped garlic and crushed pignoli.
  2. Before bacon is crispy, remove and reserve bacon and add olive oil.
  3. As pignoli start to brown, deglaze pan with white wine.
  4. After wine reduces, add cream and bring to a boil.
  5. Reduce heat to a simmer, add pecorino romano cheese
  6. Add bacon back into skillet and simmer for ~30min.
  7. Add red pepper flakes, sun-dried tomatoes and lots of basil. Remove from heat before basil starts to wilt.
6 Likes

sounds tasty. how is it over pasta? i would think a pappardelle or a rigatoni would be good.

1 Like

I usually serve it over ziti or rigatoni . It can be served with a side salad but no meat dish.

1 Like

This is not intended as a slap at people who enjoy cooking, but:

I have several editions of this; it’s brilliant. Both as a practical cookbook for the busy and impoverished, but also as a witty and subversive feminist classic. Recommended, even if you love to cook. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I can understand the appeal for those who hate to cook and have to, but I just don’t see what’s so feminist about using industrial goods designed for long-term storage to cook. You’re still stuck doing something you don’t want to do because of gender roles.

Home preserves and home cooking are the, um, preserve of the working class (if they haven’t forgotten how), and for those who have the money for industrial canned goods but prefer the control home canning gives them.

1 Like

You’d need to read the book.

A lot of it is a sarcastic critique of the role expected of married women in the early 1960s.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a vegan kimchi (or any sort of spicy pickle) recipe that doesn’t suck? If all goes to plan, I’m going to have rather a lot of very spicy peppers ready in a few months and fermenting them seems like a good idea…

Okay, here’s some recipes for cookies from a 1942 Betty Crocker baking booklet; the front page of the booklet has “war-time hints”, one of which is using corn syrup to replace sugar! What a diff 75 years makes, eh?

The second page is the instructions for preparing the batter. This is KEY - my vanilla wafers from past never came out very well, and I was about to give up when I found this booklet. Also - lots of non-stick cooking spray (well, not TOO much) is a substitute for parchment paper.

4 Likes

Yes, love Peg Bracken!!!

1 Like

Wow, those are great instructions. Love those.

3 Likes

I’ve got her IHTC book, the Appendix to same, and the IHTC Almanack. Also, her etiquette book, “I Try to Behave Myself”, “I Didn’t Come Here to Argue”, and “A Window Over the Sink”. Oh yeah, I Hate to Housekeep Book".

2 Likes