Canning, preserving, recipes, etc

Do you know they killed the Bake-Off???

http://www.chiff.com/cooking/pillsbury-bake-off.htm

1 Like

Thank you for trying. However, I’m Ix-nay on the o-tatoes-pay.

I’ve seen several versions that use potatoes but these are off my list of things I can eat now.

Right now the butternut squash/cashew versions look most promising.

1 Like

Yes it does. It’s very close.

Not the kind with soy sauce, but there’s a dry fried chicken dish that I usually get when I have Chinese. It uses rice vinegar, arbol chiles, and jalapenos. It’s a very dry vinegary heat. My hot sauce uses white vinegar instead of rice vinegar, and has habaneros in place of the arbol chiles, but otherwise it tastes quite similar.

Nobody has. That’s the point.

Usually the spices are absorbed in a small amount of some sort of liquid and kneaded in, or else added after the fact or used as a sauce. My idea was to make the burger secrete hot sauce, like those vegan burgers that are supposed to be able to bleed.

My first way of approaching this was to mix the sauce into butter, then cube the butter and mix it into the meat. I thought that as the butter melts, there would be little pockets of liquefied hot sauce inside the burger. It didn’t quite work out that way, and the result was more like the spices had been kneaded into the meat in the traditional way.

This was meant to be very experimental. The food wasn’t destroyed, it just didn’t work out the way I intended it to.

2 Likes

I don’t know why I’m having a hard time explaining this. It’s a stupidly simple concept. The burger is supposed to secrete hot sauce. As in, the hot sauce is dripping from inside the already cooked burger. It’s not served on top, or kneaded into the meat, but should be liquid inside the meat. So no, dried spices won’t work, because there will be no sauce to speak of.

The act of cooking isn’t changing the flavor. The flavor is more or less what I intended it to be, but the texture is way off. It’s dry and mixed in instead of wet and separate.

I’ve tried googling just out of curiosity, and a lot of people are searching for this, but I haven’t found a published recipe that does what I want it to do.

I suspect the correct answer is to use gelatin to get an effect like American cheese, or to use one thin but even layer of sauce mixed with butter and/or gelatin.

2 Likes

What if you stuffed the burger with cheese infused with hot sauce, ‘juicy lucy’ style? I imagine if you melted some mild meltable cheesy stuff like Velveeta, worked hot sauce into it, let that firm up, and then put that inside the patties, the fat would ‘insulate’ the sauce and it’d ooze out, but in cheesy form. That might be too cheesy and ghetto for the ‘bleeding hot sauce’ idea you’re going for, which sounds delicious.

3 Likes

I feel like the problem with your concept is the amount of fat in meat is going to create a lot of grease.

Seems like to do this you need some kind of barrier between the meat and the goo that is grease and moisture resistant.

2 Likes

I think I understand what you’re aiming for, but I’d consider:

• Hot sauces tend to be high in vinegar and other acids, which is going to change how the meat cooks
  • Hot sauces tend to be on the thin side. It sounds like you’re already working on that with the butter and gelatin ideas. I’d consider a hot barbecue sauce as well, as they tend to be thicker and less likely to disappear into the meat. Something like make two thin patties, put a blob of sauce in the middle of the bottom patty, cover with the top patty and seal the edges.
4 Likes

Noooooooooo…oh well. They didn’t give me an Honorable Mention 35 years ago for my Whole-Wheat-Chocolate-Chip-and-Crisp-Rice-Cereal Cookies, so the hellwit’em.

1 Like

Yep! Or add your favorite hot sauce to your favorite BBQ sauce.

2 Likes

Um…um…LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

I haven’t heard that invective (?) in ages! (I know, wasn’t aimed @ me.)

1 Like

Ha! No, I meant this kind of Juicy Lucy (aka ‘Jucy Lucy’), not yourself :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I know, but too-frickin’-funny - thanks for the laff!

1 Like

so, if potatoes are off your list, what about other starches? corn starch? the potatoes are there (i assume) for the starch and to add some bulk to the sauce. maybe you could use this as a starting point and sub in things that take care of those things that are on your “ok” list?

1 Like

I’ve thought of trying it with shredded pressed cauliflower, maybe Cauliflower and something else I haven’t thought of yet.

2 Likes

But how do we know it wasn’t about you in the first place? :wink:

(to be clear, I am intentionally not clicking that link. I’ve long forgotten what it means, I haven’t heard it in 20 years)

2 Likes

marinade golden raisins in crazy hot sauce.

I do this with Worcestershire and mix them in with onions sometimes, so the steak sauce is IN my burger.

They swell right up with Worcestershire soaked overnight and hold their form in the burger well enough, probably work for hot. Might even bleed.

@ChickieD

Seems like to do this you need some kind of barrier between the meat and the goo that is grease and moisture resistant.

Exactly! The raisin skin is perfect, and just a little sweet.

Those crazy recipies may use some mix of weird binders. You can make microcapules of hot oils.

and you might be able to freeze them, so when you cooked it they went back to being colloidish rather than hardened. But those are so fragile, it’s a long shot.

4 Likes

It’s not all about me; I learned that a loooong time ago.

2 Likes

Along these lines, I wonder if “popping” boba might be a potential solution?
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/2014/10/boba-spherification-the-science-of-juice-filled-caviar.php

4 Likes

That description of your recipe confuses me. So much going on there.

I have a recipe that is a surefire winner and now I can’t apply.

1 Like

So not the programe?

1 Like