Canning, preserving, recipes, etc

Hardtack is traditionally baked, then baked again at a lower temperature (200-250F or so) to get all the moisture out. The stuff that went on ships was baked four times, then aged a minimum of six months before going out on the ship.

4 Likes

For when the inevitable glut of courgettes/marrows comes we will be making this

Itā€™s very much like lemon curd except the base is marrow rather than eggs, which gives it a lighter texture and stores well even outside the fridge.

6 Likes
5 Likes

I once found a carton of sea ration Marlboroā€™s. Wax Carton. Had to have been 25 years old. I was around 25. Not food, but close! They were still actually kinda tasty. HARSH AS SALT though.

Wax can make an excellent seal. (to keep this on topic) :wink:

4 Likes

ā€œSea rationā€? Like, for the ocean or sumpinā€™?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve foundā€¦well, manymanymany recipes from the newspaper in the house and garage since my momā€™s death and before. More so since Iā€™ve been cleaning up. I have shelves of cookbooks that were never used, to my knowledge. Hereā€™s a fun sample of something from Pillsbury, which perhaps came inside a box of cake mix or something, judging by the folds:

5 Likes

US Navy issue. They were sealed in wax, at least 3 dips. It was a standard thing for storage in ships, where the holds werenā€™t always so perfectly dry. 10 packs. Wish I hadnā€™t opened it, but I was a kid (23?), and it was cool, and now someone elseā€™s are more valuable.

3 Likes

Ah, I grew up hearing about ā€œC-ratsā€, my dad having served in WWII. One of those weird homonyms.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s the other side of the above leaflet; the top recipe looks delish, the otherā€¦ewucghgghhg!!!
(But thatā€™s just me.)

Iā€™ve got collections, too, of Pillsbury Bake-Off Winning Recipes, if anyoneā€™s interested.

As for baking, the last thing I made was ? were? whole-wheat milk-chocolate chip cookies. My baking is well-loved, and I like that. I like the whole thing about baking. Itā€™s chemistry, itā€™s fattening, it smells great!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been stuck on breads for so long now.

I did learn a great bread trick. A little bit of cornstarch. It holds on to some water for you. Itā€™s nice, I accidentally made mcdonalds hamburger buns the other day. I will write it down next time!

1 Like

I tried to make a hamburger with hot sauce cooked into it. It didnā€™t work the way I wanted it to, but the meat absorbed all the spicy vinegar flavor so it tasted like Chinese stir fry. Not bad, but not what I wanted. If I had to try it again, I would mix some gelatin and hot sauce together, refrigerate until firm, then put them inside stuffed burgers.

1 Like

Thatā€™sā€¦kinda cute.

But that wonā€™t work; the gelatin will melt. And burn. And stink like burnt horsesā€™ hooves, unless you use flavored gelatin, in which case it will smell like burnt-fruit-and-horsesā€™ hooves.

Did you mix it in with the meat prior to cooking? Like, knead it in?

2 Likes

Anyone have a good vegan mac n cheese recipe?

My nutrition doctor suggested it and I found a chickpea pasta that works pretty well for the nongrain diet Iā€™m on.

He suggested nutritional yeast, so I made a version with sweet potatoes blended with nutritional yeast, some almond milk, part of an onion, and some spices. It was not like, wow, thatā€™s going to give Kraft a run for the money, but it was promising.

Iā€™ve been google-fuing up some stuff; the ones that sound the best, of course, have a lot of fat in them. Also verbotem. The one that seemed most promising was made with cashews and some truffle oil. I feel like maybe in moderation these could work.

Iā€™m also open to the idea of a ā€œsauceā€ that is not really cheesy per se.

I can always do a veggie + pasta thing but I think the sauce satisfies the urge for something remotely resembling comfort food, which is one of the main downfalls I have on this diet with low salt, no grains, no dairy - pretty much every single comfort food is off the list.

2 Likes

Kenji at Serious Eats is my go-to for all things vegan and delicious. iā€™m vegetarian, not vegan, but iā€™ve made many of his vegan recipes and they are all just killer.

iā€™ve been on a bread-baking kick for years now, and i think iā€™m getting decent at it. if i could chuck everything and just make bread all day, iā€™d do it.

3 Likes

Yeah, but now you have a cool story whereas they just have an expensive pack of cigarettes.

3 Likes

I mixed the hot sauce in with butter, refrigerated the butter, then cubed it and mixed it into the beef.

I thought of gelatin as an alternative to the butter because of American cheese. Itā€™s doable, but I have to be careful to not burn the gelatin.

I could simply freeze the sauce, but that would be worse than the butter.

Maybe the butter was the correct approach, and I just did it wrong.

What you should try is just mixing the sauce into the meat. Are you using super-lean burger? Iā€™m curious as to why youā€™re adding the butter.

If I knead the sauce directly into the meat, the meat absorbs it. Then it would most assuredly taste like Chinese stir fry. I tried the butter so it would melt and be liquid, but that doesnā€™t work either. I got the idea from vegan hamburgers that bleed.

1 Like

Ohhh, okay.

But it doesnā€™t taste like Chinese stir-fry, I can assure you of that.

I have to say, Iā€™ve never heard of that particular method for flavoring hamburger. Are you cooking it in patty form or crumbled or what?

Iā€™m wondering if the act of cooking the sauce in the burger is itself changing the flavour. The sauce isnā€™t necessarily heat-inert. Itā€™s like how sesame oil will lose a lot of its distinctive flavour during cooking (although it can be nice to cook with anyhow.

Might dried/powdered spices work better?

2 Likes