Cheesecake - like cake, but with Cheese

As long as its made with the good nacho cheese sauce (or cheesedog cheese), not velveeta or cheez whiz or one of the gross cheeses.

I don’t even like cake but the thought of a cake with nacho cheese for icing…mmm.

1 Like

Icing? On a cheesecake? Something like this? :open_mouth:

6 Likes

And what, pray tell, is wrong with icing on cheesecake?

6 Likes

That. It should have been a dark chocolate glaze.

4 Likes

I’ve never understood the thick cheesecakes that are in vogue now. Give me a thin layer of cheesecake (made with sour cream) on a thick graham cracker crust and then a nice fruit topping.

12 Likes

I think we’ve got a topic somewhere for cake… :wink:

Judging from that picture, that’s an interesting definition of thin. Though, being cheesecake, I suppose I’d give it a pass! :smiley:

On somewhat science news…

5 Likes

Why do I get the feeling the journalist was the first person to read the instructions?

Me, I would have skipped to the gem capsule/bottle insertion diagram, assembled it, filled it up with water, and then sat there, turning the bottle slowly, enjoying how the bottle glass and the water distorted how the stones looked. At least until I got thirsty.

4 Likes

There is no wrong way to combine chocolate and cheesecake.

3 Likes

Yeah, I couldn’t find an image that was what I really meant. About 3/4” high, then the fruit topping.

2 Likes

There are very few right ways of combining chocolate and cheesecake: chocolate in the cheese mixture maybe (bitter cocoa by preference); dark chocolate glaze drizzled on top. The cheese mixture (essentially cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and sometimes eggs) provides all the sweetness the desert needs.

Milk chocolate icing? :nauseated_face:

When I was a kid, cheesecakes were always quite tall and quite firm. This was true in Philly delis, where I first had 'em as a kid, and in Montreal, whether from Cantor’s or Woolworth’s cafeteria or wherever else I got 'em. The dessert has evolved considerably since the '60s.

3 Likes

How about a chocolate graham cracker crust?

3 Likes

OK, that works.

2 Likes

Given the response, I think a few people read the instructions and had the same WTF reaction. That response was way too defensive.

I used to like you, NatGeo, but the Fox sale was bad news.

3 Likes

Well, I’m also talking about cheesecake in the 60’s, so maybe it was a Midwestern thing to have it be a lot thinner then.

3 Likes

My mum still makes it in a pie plate (and I do a well). More graham cracker crust, and a thinner filling, like you said.

And we always have fruit on top. Usually cherry pie filling; sometimes peach or apricot jam. Fresh berries if in season.

5 Likes

A friend made a cheesecake in college, in a real spring pan, using a very large toaster oven. It took much longer to cook than he expected. He’d take it out, test it with a toothpick, then put it back. Each time it settled more. By the time it was done, it was the densest, neutron star material cheesecake I’ve ever tasted. It was really good.

7 Likes

Does the layer of sour cream+sugar on the top count as frosting?

(Just made a cheesecake for the first time today. It was a little too tall and overflowed the springform pan it was in while baking. I either need a taller pan or should make New York style cheesecakes).

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Possibly untrue science news, and cheesecake

This recipe was given to me by a friend and it is AMAZING. I make the crust (she made graham cracker crust, but I really like this one). I didn’t have the sauce part and have never made that.

This is just a classic New York cheesecake. It is so good.

The only thing with this recipe is it always takes way longer to cook than the recipe says it will. Like, by an hour.

6 Likes

That has got to be the longest list of steps I’ve ever seen. :open_mouth:

2 Likes