Comey Out, What Now?

Uncle samuel macdonald yankee.
Fine citizen of the ussa.

3 Likes

Lots of experience in both the FSB and the KGB before that.

3 Likes

I think this is starting to look pretty bleak.

Trump will replace him with somebody that will not pursue this investigation.

The congressional investigation will never turn up anything because the GOP will never go after Trump on this.

Justice dept will never assign independent council to investigate this.

So likely Trump will never be investigated over collusion with Russians during election. Unless some journalists turn up condemning information.

5 Likes

On the other hand, he might have done more damage to himself than the Russia investigation would have. Arcane documents that hint at legal wrongdoing arenā€™t as sexy or dramatic as Trump suddenly firing the man who is investigating him. His staff arenā€™t breathing a sigh of relief that Comey is goneā€”theyā€™re struggling to contain a week-long PR disaster that distracts from and undermines their legislative agenda.

Itā€™s hard for me to see this as a win for them.

5 Likes

Iā€™d say that is highly likely, and the FBI will probably start leaking like a sieve.

10 Likes

Comey had been refusing to swear absolute loyalty to Trump, and was trying to build leverage against him [1]. His request for more resources on the Russia investigation is probably what most immediately motivated the sacking.

It was a direct move to defuse the threat from Comey, not a distraction from something else.

[1] For the good of Comey, not for the good of the nation. Heā€™s a wildly bent GOP partisan, he just isnā€™t a Trump-faction partisan. He got Trump elected by accident; heā€™s been trying to swing control back to the pre-Trump GOP establishment, with himself as kingmaker.

8 Likes

10 Likes

Please be true, please be true, please be trueā€¦

8 Likes

No, I donā€™t see it as a win. But I see it as making it less likely we can get rid of Trump soon, and take down as much of the secession list as possible along with him.

2 Likes

Itā€™s literally impossible to indict a sitting President for a crime, isnā€™t it? You must be impeachedā€¦

2 Likes

David Frum argues against a Special Prosecutor.

yeah, yeah. itā€™s David Frum. But he makes an interesting argument,

ā€¦ But the dangersā€”and the remediesā€”in the present situation are much more likely to be political than legal. Itā€™s more important that the investigation be speedy and its full conclusions shared with the public than that it lead to indictments, prosecutions, and penalties.

1 Like

Itā€™s Louise Mensch.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/142650/stop-promoting-liberal-conspiracy-theories-twitter

Louise Mensch doesnā€™t know anything about the Russia investigation. No one sane would leak any valuable information to a person who isnā€™t a journalist and whose only moment of public self-awareness occurred in 2012, when she appeared on the BBCā€™s Question Time and announced: ā€œI did serious drugs and it messed with my head.ā€

Titilating if true. But what if it isnā€™t?

3 Likes

Interesting news

2 Likes

LOL, ā€˜tapesā€™

5 Likes

Probably get something like this out of it:

Edit: Wish this had the full show. I recall listening to it on radio during the height of Watergate and nearly pissing myself.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Hm, I donā€™t suppose Derek and Clive ever did any political satireā€¦ Now that would be piss-funny.

2 Likes