Cultural Omissions

Are there any things you probably ought to have done by now, based on your culture / subculture / aversion to culture?

:heart: for agreeing that yes, yes someone probably ought to have seen/done/experienced that by now
(tongue in cheek of course)

I’ll start.

I have never:

1 Like

Seen Donnie Darko

3 Likes

Been to Disney [Land or World]

4 Likes

Had a kid.

(My family likes to think they’re progressive and accepting, but this is definitely an exception that proves the rule.)

17 Likes

On a lighter note:

I have never got into either The Smiths or Nirvana.

7 Likes

Cooked an American Thanksgiving dinner.

Taken my child to McDonald’s.

Taken or exposed my child to a Disney or Pixar film.

6 Likes

Never seen:

Friends
Sex in the City
Alien II, III, IV, V, VI or whatever they’re up to (#1 was enough)
CSI in any incarnation
Beavis & Butthead

6 Likes

well, Alien 2 (e.g., Aliens) is definitely worth your time.

6 Likes

Too scary! I’m not a fan of horror, unless it was made in the 1930’s.

2 Likes

oh, well, that’s a horse of a different color.

Horse_of_a_different_color

10 Likes

I have never:

• Seen Titanic
  • Seen even one episode of a medical drama
  • Owned a television
  • Been to Oregon or Arizona
  • Watched a hockey or soccer game, even on television
  • Gone skiing or snowboarding
  • Attended private school
  • Taken a humanities / liberal arts course at the college level
  • Been on spring break during college
  • Played a team sport
  • Had a pet

Most of this stuff involves not watching television :smiley:

I mentioned Oregon and Arizona because they’re states where people live, but I’ve never been there, even though I’ve been to more obscure states and there’s no reason why I don’t want to go to Oregon or Arizona. I have never been to Mississippi either, even though I’ve been to every state bordering Mississippi multiple times, but I’m not mentioning it because it’s no big loss.

Honorable mentions :

• I did not speak until I was 8
  • I could not ride a bicycle until I was 21
  • I had never been to New York City until I was 30
7 Likes

What makes me sad is how much conversation with relatives depends on more than one participant watching television. “Did you see this commercial?” "Did you watch ‘Dancing with the Stars’?"
blink blink

I used to like television, until networks started cancelling shows I liked to watch, and sliced old shows that ran longer to fit the current shorter-length format to put in more commercials. That led me to Happy Mutant land. Execs in suits do not determine my 21st century entertainment consumption.

8 Likes

And yet, whenever I’m waiting somewhere and reading a book in public, some clown will come up to me and announce, kinda proudly, that they hadn’t read a book since high school. People act like reading a book is a huge intellectual endeavor, when most of the books I read are trashy with little literary merit :wink:

But somehow I’m expected to watch television.

That and watch sportsball. My main issue with sportsball is that I’ve moved around so much in life that I don’t have a “home team” to root for, and most places I lived didn’t have all the Big Four leagues. Lately, though, I’ve developed an antipathy toward sports, partly because of the way the team owners treat the players, and partly because of how the fans act like total jackasses.

10 Likes

If I had a dollar for every person who asked teenage me if I was reading something for school…

In one city, conversation with strangers at bus stops didn’t start with the weather, but last night’s game. I’d listen to the game on radio or watch a bit – the city had a football team, soccer team, triple-A baseball team, but only the hockey team mattered, everyone knows that. I’d be okay with that. I’ve taken my son to various sportsball events: major league, minor league, women’s league. I don’t feel the need to stand up for an anthem nowadays: it’s not out of protest, it’s just that no rules I’ve read for the games say anything about mass audience participation in patriotism procedures.

I don’t like it when athletes determine the money they make and endorsements they take give them political or religion punditry status. I don’t like it when the athletes I like to watch get attacks on their brains and legs. I don’t like the seasonal floor-space clogging displays of subpar, mass-produced malt beverages and processed, refined snacks with cheese-dust on them when I shop, and I don’t get the “on this day we all wear shirts to support our local team” promos of companies whose revenue streams have nothing to do with the sportsball team.

3 Likes

Even today, people ask me that.

When I was in school, I didn’t say the words to the Pledge Of Allegiance. I didn’t make a big show of not participating, but I stood there in silence while everyone else said the pledge. Of course, this was when Reagan was president, so all the other kids thought I was a filthy commie. I didn’t even have a political reason for not saying the pledge. I just didn’t say it because I thought the whole thing was weird.

11 Likes

This is what I was referring to.

Also that if an athlete comes out as gay, his career is over. Or even if he supports gay rights but isn’t gay himself. Or, hell, even if he voices any kind of political opinion beyond blind jingoism.

4 Likes

I told my kid that was completely optional, and it did nothing to improve citizenship or scholastic performance. I like to think he didn’t recite the Pledge of Allegiance. One year when I learned he’d have the same homeroom teacher I printed out the ACLU sheet on nonparticipation to show if the teacher hassled him about it. Unfortunately my kid is not as circumspect, and I’d hear from his teacher how he didn’t like to participate in some activities (she wouldn’t say which, and she never got support from me for not telling me). I have never said the Pledge of Allegiance because it’s not my flag, and the only fabric materials I come close to pledging allegiance to are merino, Cordura, cashmere, leather and fur.

5 Likes

Pledging allegiance to leather is no more or less ridiculous than pledging allegiance to the flag.

The flag is a symbol, not a horcrux.

6 Likes

It is kind of nice to be able to see something at home that people used to have to go to a theater (movie or otherwise) to see. OTOH most of what is shown is such utter crap. I think the trick is to wait a few years and see what people think is good (or something they think we’d like) and then stream it or get DVDs. Especially if it’s from BBC.

But to expect someone to watch is silly.

To continue…

I Never:
Watch sports or go to games.
Drink alcohol (partly due to med interactions, partly due to it being a depressant, one thing I don’t need).

4 Likes

Married and/or had kids.

The ceremony always seemed like a waste of time and money and kids are better enjoyed when someone else has to live with them 24/7

5 Likes