Cultural Omissions

Aliens isn’t horror really. There are tense and scary bits but it is more a monster movie/war movie mash up. The first one is horror for sure. I haven’t seen the rest.

6 Likes

There is a lot of TV I have missed out on but I don’t really miss. I have probably seen at least an episode or two of stuff from the 80s and 90s but never much of anything regularly.

Baseball I do like but can’t get that excited about even the home town team. Hockey I have taken a liking to thanks to the wife and kid but again not such that I can go all in for any particular team though like baseball I have feelings for the hometown teams mostly due to it being part of the background of growing up than anything else.

4 Likes

I’ve never seen "The Big Lebowski."
Heck, I’ve never even seen “The Small Lebowski.”

I’ve never seen an episode of “The Aprentice.”

I’ve never eaten sushi.

I’ve never served in the armed forces.

I’ve never watched more than ten consecutive minutes of a football game. I have never been ready for football or basketball.

I’ve never taken LSD. I’m afraid I might enjoy it too much.

I’ve wasted a lot of time and money running around, but never taken a decent vacation.

And there are a lot of personal things I could write here, but I won’t.

3 Likes

I’ll be happy to eat it for you.

6 Likes

You have my permission.

3 Likes

On it!

Homer

7 Likes

I’ve managed to stay out of NYC until today. In 3 hours. Meh.

6 Likes

Never been on the north american continent.

9 Likes
8 Likes

I never made Eagle Scout (and was in scouting >17 y.o.). Just wasn’t interested in that.

3 Likes

“Keep you hand on your wallet, kid, and you’ll go far”

3 Likes

I never saw Hendrix live. <sigh>

6 Likes

Ouf, can’t even click on that.

I like Smiths covers (Propaganda’s version of Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now is a favourite), and I like Johnny Marr’s solo work, but Morrisey turns me right off.

Ditto for Nirvana. There’s an electric organ instrumental cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit I’m fond of, love the Foo Fighters, but the Cobain worship totally flummoxes me. I get other people have it, but I don’t like the expectation from some quarters I have to have it or I’m not a true music fan or whatever.

4 Likes

His navel and his shoes have always seemed to fascinate so many more people than just himself.

I never got it either.

6 Likes

These things about Morrisey are all true.

But I’ll fight anyone in Thunderdome who tries to tell me that How Soon is Now? isn’t an awesome fucking song.

Also, I think me and every teen boy in 1984 fancied the blonde lady in the video.

6 Likes

I love that movie. I first saw it a decade after it came out. If you’re not averse to seeing it, I recommend you see it.

Me either.

I’m allergic to so much of it, but I’ve still eaten it on occasion. I just ask the wait person what I can and can’t eat, and go with what they suggest.

I enlisted. Was rejected because of poor eyesight.

This right here is why I don’t smoke pot. Which isn’t to say I’ve never smoked pot, just that I don’t do it, and for this reason.

I’ve rarely (again, not never) traveled for pleasure. It’s almost always been for business, and to visit family. I don’t really take vacations, and never have. I’ve also not-never been to Europe, but only spent about two weeks of my life there.

5 Likes

Oh, there is no Morrissey singing, it’s a MJ Hibbett about how he didn’t like the Smiths not because he didn’t like the music, but because he didn’t like the fans of the Smiths… But not liking Morrissey is a perfectly acceptable position. He’s not for everyone and is kind of a dick, actually. I just think it’s a fun and catchy little song.

As for Cobain, again, that all comes down to personal tastes. Part of Cobain’s mystique was down to his suicide.

I also don’t like the whole gate keeper mentality of music fandom. It’s just more snobbery if you ask me. We should all like what we like and not have to worry about being judged for it. Fuck that noise.

Except the gay ones, of course.

6 Likes

anything that people like, narcissists will show up to try and charge rent to (demand attention from) anyone just enjoying it peacefully.

But only if you let them.

4 Likes

What do you mean by gate keeper? I don’t quite understand.

I guess judging people is a popular hobby.

3 Likes