Cultural Omissions

That’s a really good point. I’ve never thought about out like that before, but it makes sense – it’s not so much they’re truefans, it’s that they’re narcissists.

Thank you for that.

3 Likes

except for those of us that fancied Morrissey :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

I assumed “Cept da gay doods” was so obvious that it didn’t need pointing out.

3 Likes

They’re the ones who seemed to like him the most.

To each their own!

2 Likes

I like Morrissey.

I like sad music.

A couple Smiths’ songs could have been written about me:

5 Likes

Gate keeper has a more narrow definition - specifically who in a given culture gets to decide what is “real” culture, worth of cultural comment.analysis, economic investment, and sometimes public/government support. So, people like music critics, academics (like myself), or the government in regards to various cultural support programs, all function as gate keepers.

But gate keepers can also be referred to as individuals within a given subculture who decide who is a “real”… whatever, punk, metalhead, skin, geek, hippie, etc and who is a “poser.” It functions as a means of policing subcultural borders, and keeping people in or out of the scene. it can sometimes be a means of securing or making a scene safe for everyone involved or a way of avoiding commercialization of the scene, but it can also be a means of making a scene just reflect the same old white patriarchal straight ideology of the parent culture.

So yeah, that’s what I mean by “gate keeper” and in the comment, I was meaning more the latter than the former.

Hope that helps!

12 Likes

Don’t you mean, about pretty much all of us at a certain age? :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks! I think I get it now. I try not to pay attention to the Keepers of the Gate. I remember Rolling Stone Magazine forever referring to progressive rock as “pretentious” back in the seventies, but it never stopped me from listening to it.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s always the right move, I think. Just listen to what brings you joy and you’ll be happier in the long run!

6 Likes

Great point! The distinction I see is who appointed you. In your case, not yourself, Mindysama.

That says everything about which kind of gate-keeper you are!

3 Likes

But prog rock is pretentious, it’s the musical version of Tolkein.

5 Likes

Yes, I suppose.
But in my case, I never heard if them until I was in my 30s.

3 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Well, that was certainly the pot calling the kettle black…

9 Likes

I can tell it’s time to put up some zeuhl. Pretentious it may well be, but it ain’t Tolkienesque. :wink:

2 Likes

I still have some level of authority, conferred by my status as a phd.

that being said, it’s much more complicated, cause I’m a woman in a field normally dominated by men (popular music/culture), my degree is from a public university as opposed to a prestigious institution, and I’m still “early career” without a tenure track position, with no book length publications as of yet. All this aside, I’m still relatively privileged.

10 Likes

Ah! Ain’t nothing wrong with that. The Smtih’s still resonate with me and I’m in my 40s!

3 Likes

I know this isn’t what you mean by “gatekeeper” … But back in the day all the “goth” bars had dress codes, specifically designed to keep muggles out so they’d leave us alone. One bar on Yonge St. was above Gasworks a rocker/country bar owned by Mike Myers (yes that Mike Myers) and the dress code was specifically to keep those guys downstairs and protect the freaks upstairs. Because without fail, if they got let in, they’d start a fight because gasp boys were wearing make up and dresses. Not all gatekeeping is bad imo, depends who is being kept out. :wink:

13 Likes

Most of 'em still do. But I’ve been to a few industrial/goth/fetish nights or concerts that for some reason took place at venues that were normally a townie bar. Not all of the regulars had gotten the memo. Those were some amusing nights. :joy_cat:

2 Likes

gate-keepers

B-but what about the fake geek girls? Their gynocracy is ruining gaming and Marvel comics donchyuknow?

I know this because a Youtube atheist said so and because atheism is so logical it cant be sexist and racist because Spock.

9 Likes