Culture-Class Wars

So vectors are going to get paid?

2 Likes

Well you can convince some people not to wear a mask, and you can convince some people to go to political rallies, and you can remove eviction protection and unemployment and force some people to go back to work. But if you really want to spread it and kill as many people as possible, you also need to target the people with good enough jobs that they donā€™t have to go right back to work and who have vacation time, and pay them to use it to go travel and spread the virus. Itā€™s a multifaceted strategy.

3 Likes

Also, Iā€™m really tired of this whole idea that we can fix any problem by throwing a tax credit at itā€¦

5 Likes

Jeez, lady, it sounds like you sound like someone who thinks poor people matter! :roll_eyes: If we do stuff besides tax credits, we run the risk of making peoples lives better, and some of those people might not be the ā€œrightā€ sort of people, and that sounds like communism to me. /s

4 Likes

sharpie

5 Likes

Or even trying to get back to having a middle class, instead of the onward progress to feudalism. That would be just as bad./s

4 Likes

It seems we have a six-sigma consensus on putting the rich in check.

2 Likes
1 Like

Relevant:

1 Like
3 Likes

Link via Pharyngula:

4 Likes

Shoot canon out of a cannon.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve seen some tweets about that, and been rather mystifiedā€¦ I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen ā€œcanonā€ used in this context before, and I really donā€™t see the point.

It sounds like itā€™s describing what Iā€™d call ā€œclassicsā€ or ā€œdeeply influential for the genreā€. And, if Iā€™m right on that, then, wellā€¦ thereā€™s a lot of books in that category that I absolutely loved when I was gorging on them in middle school, which I wouldnā€™t even think of recommending for most people I know today because theyā€™ve just lost the relevance and would be a slog for someone used to more modern fiction. Heck, some of the ones Iā€™ve tried to go back to for a re-read out of nostalgia have ended up boring or annoying me to the point of dropping them.

3 Likes

Reminds me of my second-year English professor in college. First year was great, that professor taught us to think of things from different angles and consider different aspects of it and how it might relate to other things. The second year professor though, sheā€™d made up her mind that there was One True Interpretation of anything and it was hers and everyone who even considered anything else was Wrong. I dropped that class so fast.

3 Likes

How can there be absolutes in something as subjective as literature anyway? Itā€™s not like F=MA.

3 Likes

The second year professor though, sheā€™d made up her mind that there was One True Interpretation of anything and it was hers and everyone who even considered anything else was Wrong

And was this one true interpretation throughly conventional, or did it at least amuse the mind?

From a footnote in a paper Iā€™m reading

2 While the term universalism has been virtually banished from the critical vocabulary of many disciplines today, it should be acknowledged that not all scholars are so quick to agree that the universal is always or by definition a falsely imposed, imperialistic notion. See, for example, ā€¦

2 Likes

There are ideas that are more supportable than others, for sure, and areas of support are more diverse than just what underpins a dominant culture. Given that, it creates a more fluid idea of support than can be accounted for in a list of ā€œcanonā€.

1 Like

So a reading list of literary history is going to be best served by having some essays touching on old ideas of canon, but the works to read should always be presented for the meaning they have to us today, whether by accidental relevance or a part of a chain of canon thatā€¦ people still like.

This means that contemporary academia and criticism is free to speak on these topics, but can be held accountable for the need to be flexible about the universality of what they come up with.

1 Like

It seems the corruption potential of wealth, and the strange people you wake up next to, covered in slime and some kind of crust, still needs to be talked about, because supposedly smart STEM people did not get the memo.

* I keep forgetting to paste the link:

1 Like

Er oh.

And thenā€¦

3 Likes