Did Somebody Say "Star Trek"?

10 Likes
8 Likes

Just heard a segment on the radio about Desi Arnaz

and weirdly heard a lot of the TOS theme in Arnazā€™s earlier work as a bandleader

There are bits of percussion that sound the same, and that dramatic four-note flourish at the very end

I mean, everybody knows the Star Trek theme had sort of an ā€œexoticaā€ thing going on, but now Iā€™m thinking of it as specifically Cuban

Oddly, Wikipedia doesnā€™t know anything about this, though the connection through Desilu is pretty directā€”perhaps I Love Lucy was just so tremendously influential that everything else sounded like it by default for the next twenty years

6 Likes

Iā€™m gonna need thisā€¦

5 Likes

Saw this in the paper and thought ā€œAdmiral Pelosi?ā€

4 Likes

Iā€™ve lost the Tweet (and canā€™t find it again :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: ), but saved this delightful gif:

ezgif-7-2e1f3744b6a3

6 Likes

I hanā€™t seen that much of any of the shows, leaving episodes out of context. But maybee I should watch Vger.

P.S. Some flashing late in the episode.

3 Likes

Someoneā€™s having fun with Twitter and tarot on Twitter (thread):

Iā€™m no expert on tarot, but from what little I know, there are some good correspondences here. So far, only cards 0-15 have been posted, and Iā€™m looking forward to seeing the rest.

4 Likes

these are amazing. well chosen, i gotta say.

3 Likes

Apologies if thisā€™s been previously posted:

1 Like

A little fun from Twitter:

In case that loads wrong:

6 Likes
3 Likes

To boldly go where many have gone before.

3 Likes

not SO many, and none (that i know of) played fictional starship captains. i say itā€™s a perfect thing. iā€™m excited he gets to actually see space.

5 Likes

I just hope he bought a round-trip ticket.

1 Like

Isnā€™t it more like a Disneyland ride? You get on, enjoy the ride, pull back into the starting platform, and get off again.

4 Likes

4 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes