Did Somebody Say "Star Trek"?

I’d guess those are cut from the same cloth (e.g., the Orange Menace), but I suppose you could have a narcissist who isn’t a sociopath. But it’s an interesting question. I’ll have to ask my therapist.

1 Like

My father was in no way a sociopath. And he loved ST:TOS (we were indulged when it came to the models, lol).

2 Likes

They made a lot of things ambiguous and contradictory on purpose in the '60s, and then each generation of writers after that put its own spin on it as if it was supposed to make sense somehow

3 Likes

And fans, don’t forget them.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Well I have really enjoyed the first two episodes of Strage New Worlds, or Pike Trek as I like to call it.

I’m ok with all the updates, even the neon discovery style bridge - but one thing I can not reconcile is this: The HUGE captains quarters fit out like some kind of Vegas lux suite? WTF? A fireplace? Really?

4 Likes

Matt Jefferies would never stand for it.

2 Likes
10 Likes

12 Likes

1966, just without quite so much crying.

5 Likes

There’s a nice video by Jessie Gender that refutes the FOX article:

9 Likes

He’d better not watch the Dick Van Dyke Show from 1960.

7 Likes

And there’s this; the show was local in LA, but they had a lot of TV sets there…from the IMDb entry on “The Faith of Our Children”:

Trivia

“Faith of Our Children” first aired in 1954. It was a weekly non-denominational, public service program aimed at the spiritual formation of children, complete with Bible stories, skits, and guest entertainers. Powell hosted and scripted each show, fashioned after her Beverly Hills Presbyterian Sunday school class. “Faith of Our Children” was groundbreaking, and not just for being the first children’s religious show on TV. During an era of growing racial tensions in the country, “Faith of Our Children” featured multi-racial guests and an audience of multi-racial children. And that didn’t set well with some viewers. In Eleanor Powell: First Lady of Dance, author Alice Levin writes that after one show, “a well-known minister” called, complaining about “the number of dark-skinned youngsters” on the set. Eleanor politely responded to the minister, saying that she would make the necessary adjustments before the next airing. The following week viewers were treated to a program featuring an all black audience and a black guest star, to boot. The minister didn’t bother calling back to say how he enjoyed the adjustments.

How I can connect this w/ST? Well, June Lockhart once appeared on the show, and “Lost in Space”, in which she later appeared, was the reason CBS turned down ST:TOS. (how many degrees of separation is that, lol?)

3 Likes

Wouldn’t Lockhart being on “Faith of Our Children” have made CBS make the opposite decision?

In another Dick Van Dyke show both Rob and Laura managed to dye their hands black, just before an awards dinner hosted by a black group.

The best part of “That’s My Boy” was having Rob looking like an utter ass when the black couple showed up.

4 Likes

She was on FoOC in the 1953-1954; it only ran one year. I was making a feeble attempt to make the post relevant to ST.

2 Likes

Doh!

I read in an early “Making Of Star Trek” book that CBS had Gene Roddenberry in to pitch Star Trek. After showing the first pilot and explaining things, CBS said to Roddenberry, “Well, we have our own show we’re making” (i.e., Loused Up In Space*). I gathered that supposedly CBS had Roddenberry there to steal ideas from.

*old MAD Magazine joke

2 Likes

Yep, it’s a true story. History has been a little kinder to LiS, though. I watched a neat doco on it.

2 Likes
5 Likes

OMG, they did Threshold…

1 Like

I watched it yesterday. I subscribe to their channel, they do neat stuff.

1 Like