Did Somebody Say "Star Trek"?

Good point!

4 Likes

Not perfection, but perfectibility - that was the Star Trek way, and, to a great extent, the shows were ahead of their times in what they did achieve. It’s possible that even Enterprise fits the bill, depending on how rough around the edges 22nd century Earth was supposed to be: some severe prejudices in the fictional societies did fall by the end of the series.

5 Likes

Towards that end, I wouldn’t mind a Andorean/Vulcan character.

Miscegenation in the ST universe has set a positive model, even if a bit overt and ham fisted, that’s a good approach for fiction.

5 Likes

I find it impossible to argue against this argument I saw on io9 a minute ago;

Trek was exactly the kind of diversity that white people like—the kind of diversity where white men stay firmly in charge of everything, but show how amazingly tolerant they are by letting the “right kind” of minorities exist in their space so long as they remain polite, undemanding, and unambitious.

The few times Uhura got shit done in the early seasons aside, the women were there solely as eye candy as well. A lot of that can be put on Roddenberry who was an infamous MCP. But the above could explain the mouth-breathers that pollute the STO world chat and the ST FaceBook page.

4 Likes

I have an unabashed love of Wayne & Shuster. That is all.

6 Likes

Canada’s just envious they don’t have a space program.

Even Shatner had to pretend to be USAian before they would let him on the Enterprise.

2 Likes

Cornfed, ‘Vette reavin’ Eye-Owe-Ah boy?

Given the thick, old, well hydrologically-cycled continental plate in the USian Wind-Messed, deep mining will probably be handled totally responsibly, so the corn tassels will be waving well into the 24th century, but not far beyond once the narrative causality runs out.

2 Likes

http://www.robertabondar.com/astronaut.php

4 Likes

This is a picture of a rocket rising into orbit, presumably being launched eastward from somewhere near the equator, as viewed … from the south?

1 Like

We even have our own “space oddity” :smiley:

7 Likes

I think that’s supposed to be the North Star in the top left there.

3 Likes

These seems frighteningly similar! :scream:

Don,'tlet the maple leaf fool you.

7 Likes

Well, Gen. Chang was one of us. Come to think of it, so were the Duras sisters. Most of us didn’t need to pretend to be 'Murican to get on the Enterprise. Indeed, we didn’t need to get on the Enterprise at all: we had already spread out in space long before. :wink:

8 Likes

I was thinking of this dramatic recitation…

Nobody’s perfect.

However, if Kirk was one of ours and a wannabe, Montgomery Scott was one of ours as well, and neither particularly fond of Kirk (but then, who was?) nor a wannabe.

5 Likes

Maybe. Sisko does a better eyeroll, though!

ds9-sisko-eyeroll

11 Likes

I heard Neil deGrasse Tyson trying to interview Bill Shatner once.

Without a script to read, Shatner sounds a lot like Donald Trump, incoherent and self-absorbed.

He said his favorite ST movie was Star Trek 5.

12 Likes

Yeah, that’s about right:

4 Likes

Well, it was the one he directed so it’s not entirely surprising.

8 Likes

Now, let’s not start dissing Star Trek 5. It did give us this great marshmallow dispenser:

9 Likes