Elections 2023-2024

In case you were curious who he is.

What I like best about him is saying his name — Kee-ah-stah-mah.

1 Like
7 Likes

:fist:

2 Likes

… why do they have three-way runoffs?

It seems like risking minority rule every time :confused:

3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

“Finger or fist?”

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

This past month has been a long century…

5 Likes

I’m oddly okay with Harris running, and not just because we’re the same age and chosen gender, lol.

My problem w/Biden resigning - which, if Harris wins, will paint him as a political martyr for American democracy, not a bad legacy to have! - was mostly that it went against my idea of how the demobureaucracy we live in works when it comes to party loyalty. But, after all, politics is the art of the possible, so whadda I know?

And now…I’m imagining the impact on the rest of the world. Thinking about the young and/or POC votes, how they will gladly (and hopefully) vote for someone who isn’t a wealthy old white dude to be POTUS. I know I am!

Should I presume that Dem. early voting primary ballots for Biden be automatically thrown behind Harris? I haven’t read any articles yet, just the ledes.

3 Likes

President Biden’s decision to end his reelection bid means Democrats must now quickly find a new candidate. The Democratic National Convention’s rules committee has called a Wednesday meeting to discuss the process for picking a new nominee.

Although many in the party quickly endorsed Vice President Harris as the nominee-apparent — as Biden did — Democrats still must make a formal nomination, either through a virtual vote that would lock in a new nominee in early August, or in an “open” convention.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2024/07/22/dnc-convention-2024-chicago-harris-biden/

4 Likes

More than 1,000 delegates have told AP or announced that they plan to support Harris at the convention, which is more than half of the delegates needed to win the nomination vote, according to an Associated Press survey.

Live updates: Harris breaks donation record, claims most of delegates needed | AP News

4 Likes
1 Like

I thank you for both replies.

2 Likes

… looks like it’s going to be Harris

only thing left to decide is a new VP candidate

3 Likes

Yep. And she can’t have Whitmer, we still need her in MI, at least till the damned roads are fixed.

I’m guessing it won’t be George Clooney?

2 Likes

I assume the Democrats will try to accentuate Trump’s and Vance’s lack of qualifications by picking someone with a public service resume

3 Likes

Harris has support of enough Democratic delegates to become party’s presidential nominee: AP survey

Several state delegations met late Monday to confirm their support for Harris, including Texas and her home state of California. By Monday night, Harris had the support of well more than the 1,976 delegates she’ll need to win on a first ballot, according to the AP tally. No other candidate was named by a delegate contacted by the AP.

1 Like

Note: in the following he says a few things that might be a little upsetting even if you agree with him in part:

He basically says the Democratic primaries keep getting spoiled by the party establishment. 2016 primary was spoiled against Bernie Sanders, he says the 2020 was spoiled for Joe Biden, now in 2024 the people have already voted in the primary for Biden and the establishment told him to step down, spoiling it for Harris. I don’t recall 2020 seeming as obviously spoiled by the establishment, but ok. I’ll believe that some people see it that way. And it’s definitely a bad look for Democrats that it keeps happening.

The part where he talks about black people in California not being excited about Kamala Harris because they know Kamala Harris is a little grating because of what it indicates. When my wife heard the news she was kinda despondent like “at least Hillary Clinton was popular and could get votes”. Well, it’s a contest against apathy, and we have to hope the people affected by Roe v Wade etc. will actually get out and vote.

Mail in ballots start going out soon (6 weeks?), and Harris hasn’t even had a chance to start to campaign yet at all.

One worry is that if we win, it’s likely to be quite close. And if so it’ll be challenged. And based on last time, that probably will not be properly according to procedure.

On the other hand, some other countries that’ve seen a rise in right-wing populism and were expecting a red wave this year recently got landslided the other way in their elections.

So here we are, living in interesting times.

And then there’s this:

4 Likes