Elon Musk offers to “buy 100% of Twitter” for $43 billion

2 Likes

Twitter going away won’t really affect me personally. Even when I had an account, I wasn’t very active. My concerns with Twitter under Musk are about the damage it will do on its way to irrelevance. Many people have built communities on Twitter, and making the platform worse will lead to those communities fracturing as they try to move to other platforms. Hopefully that will lead to them being both more independent and resilient, but that will take time. Even if it’s just a community of enthusiasts talking about RC sail boats, any time they spend looking for a new platform is time spent not talking about RC sail boats, all because Space Karen wants to own the libs.

5 Likes

I’m not too active on Twitter-- I read more than I interact, when I use it at all. It can be very good for folks sharing interests…but if Musk does succeed in buying it, I’ll probably kill my account. The Trek-Twitter circle I follow has already established a server on Discord, but there are so many artists and voices I’d miss if/when I leave… and I probably would never have encountered them in the first place without Twitter.

5 Likes

Also mentioned:

The Washington Post reports that if Musk does take over Twitter, he plans to gut Twitter’s staff by 75 percent.

You see, the reason he deserves to have all that money is that he’s a job creator.

6 Likes

As much as it galls me for it to benefit Musk in this case, I can’t say I’d be sorry to see him to fail to own Twitter.

4 Likes
3 Likes

World’s richest man and self-professed engineer attempts visual metaphor, chooses incorrect prop.

3 Likes

I mean, he certainly looks like a twit, carrying that thing.

2 Likes

Welcome to the twitpocalypse, y’all

2 Likes

He doesn’t even have to compete! But he does in order to complete the last round, now that I think about it.

3 Likes

currently searching for somewhere to decamp to – thinking Mastodon. i know someone who’s checking out CounterSocial. i have no idea where the biggest/best place is for sure.

3 Likes

I suspect that will be decided after everyone leaves Twitter.

On the subject of Mastodon, does anyone have experience setting up gitOps(using flux) on DigitalOcean Kubernetes? My initial experiments started getting expensive quickly, so I feel like I’m doing something wrong.

2 Likes

Mastodon is ironically the easiest to learn - has decent clients and feels like tumblr circa 2006. I just signed up on a Friendica instance over at https://libranet.de/, which connects to mastodon servers, but its interface is not so hot.

Edit: apparently friendica works with mobile mastodon clients. interestering

3 Likes

Is mastodon the one where you can only interact with people in your “node” or whatever it’s called?

2 Likes

Here’s the relevant bit:

It’s one network, but there are users who are local to your server, as well as those that are outside of it. Usernames end up being more like email addresses, so instead of @CleverEmi, it would be @cleveremi@toot.elsewhere.cafe.

6 Likes

nah, you can chat with basically everyone and anybody outside your host node, but the official Mastodon app hides that ability.

(I use Tusky on android, recommend Metatext on iPhone.)

The fediverse (wider network) is a nightmare when it comes to actually finding people you want to follow, though.

edit:
i hate phone keyboards so much

4 Likes

Discord could be an alternative. The TrekTwitter circle I’ve hung out with chose that as their escape hatch from the buyout.

I don’t know much about how to set up a server, so I have no clue if it’s easier than Mastodon. It can be accessed via app or web browser, and it allows voice calls and screen-sharing (which is fun for movie nights.)

4 Likes

Discord is really easy, can be jumped right into from their website (discordapp.com) or from the totulad app. Creating a new discord “server” is like three clicks - and you can be a permanent member of 99 of them at the same time. Reminds me a lot of AOL rooms in 97.

5 Likes

Mastodon network is working on a major software update and is also making a call for even more moderators on a volunteer basis. (Mastodon is open wource and entirely volunteer)

3 Likes