🎆 🎇 ❇ ✨ 💖 🏅 Name This Site - ROUND 5 - Final Battle 🏅 💖 ✨ ❇ 🎇 🎆

Elsewhere.org is available. So is .co.

I like these because they’re non-distracting. Maybe we just want people to read “Elsewhere” without thinking of coffee and pie (cafe) or laser tag (zone)?

.co is so close to .com.

5 Likes

Actually, this makes me think of Interzone.

3 Likes

Oh thank heavens - I just about needed to change my shorts. I went to snap up the top two for safety’s sake without reading any of the comments and was about to lose my mind.

Thanks for taking care of that little bit of digital business @LockeCJ!

3 Likes

Whatever it turns out to be, thanks for the patience and (hard?) work of going through the voting rounds and final selection!

5 Likes

While I was digging around looking at the different TLDs, I came across “away.cafe”, realized it was not a premium (aka “expensive”) domain and so I promptly snapped it up. Now I suppose I need to do something with it, anybody got any ideas? :grinning:

5 Likes

Start a cafe/travel agency to sell coffee and getaway travel packages?

5 Likes

How on earth was eie.io not already taken?! I have a weakness for novelty domains and am now a little jealous.

5 Likes

Have you priced premium domains lately? It’s hard to find a fun, short domain that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, even among the newer TLDs.

1 Like

It was totally taken when I looked into it earlier, it’s just whoever owns it just has it parked with a page indicating that it is open for bids. I assume it’s one of those “If you have to ask, you can’t afford it” situations.

I very badly want a two-letter domain in the .ch TLD, but I haven’t been able to find a way to register any .ch, let alone the likelihood that there are any that short still remaining or that I could even begin to afford it.

Does anyone remember when all domains were $45 per year?

4 Likes

Ahhh, I misinterpreted your earlier response to mean that you had snapped it up and were offering it to the highest bidder here. Whoops!

Heck, I remember when they were free. :joy:

5 Likes

If only. I would have felt honor-bound to at least offer it to @chgoliz first before exploiting it for fabulous riches.

6 Likes

This is a remarkably close race, for the top 2 anyway.

8 more voters and we can call this.

3 Likes

Paying for a domain name has always been wack business. In 2018 all of the cool kids will be using IP addresses.

5 Likes

And I appreciate that offer-that-would-have-been!

6 Likes

Hopefully IPv6…

3 Likes

I would really prefer .org for the reason stated. There are rare cases where a cute tld makes sense but otherwise it’s more hassle than it’s worth.

ETA: I just tried Elsewhere.org and it went to a blog.

5 Likes

This last stage feels a bit rushed to me. I guess there was some discussion about TLDs at the bottom of the last voting thread and I simply missed it, but in any event it seems like some of the choice domains are being omitted.

What I got was a Google cached version of a blog. I’m checking TLD availability through Dreamhost and this is what I’m seeing:

When you visit these pages, things come up—“account suspended,” “domain parked,” etc., but they’re apparently available.

The three I circled would have been my top choices. I’m not sure if:

1.) Somehow I’m mistaken and these domains aren’t available, but I’ve never clicked a “buy now” button on DreamHost and had the tell me “Actually, no. Sorry.”

2.) Nobody is speaking up because they stopped following the thread after the vote and aren’t aware of other choices.

3.) Nobody is speaking up because .cafe and .zone would still have been their first choices.

It might easily be #3, but I would liked to have been given the opportunity to vote on a non-cute TLD.

3 Likes

Oh, I’m glad you caught that. I would pass on the .co since it is so close to .com. But .org and .io get my vote.

1 Like

I looked at many different options. I thought it was weird for me to overlook that one. One of the issues I noticed with the interface I was using was that it would present a domain as available in some cases up until you actually tried to add it to your cart.

As for a non-cute domain, I have actually registered a .com that would work for that situation. I believe it is in the spirit of the choice we made, while doing a good job of bridging the gap between our current domain and the new one.

A no-prize to the first individual who finds it.

ETA: @Haystack. I’m using Dreamhost as the registrar, and I had exactly the situation where as soon as I added it to the cart, it notified me that it wasn’t available. http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/ seems active to me.

4 Likes

Shit, you’re right. That’s really annoying, DreamHost.

Well, I’m disappointed that we don’t have those options, but I feel better about the vote now.

4 Likes