Foreigners doing our accents!

I dunno. I still think it’s both the weakest part of his portrayal, and the weakest accent of any actor on the show. It doesn’t sound like any regional accent I’ve ever heard, but rather an amateurish generic actorly “English” one. Which is too bad, because he’s otherwise wonderful in everything I’ve seen him in.

I never felt Simon Baker’s American accent was any great shakes on The Mentalist, but then with Brits Bruno Heller and Chris Long running the show, I never got the impression that the Aussie Baker’s American accent ever bugged them. It drove me nuts. He was supposed to be Californian, but was always written to say “that’s absurd” rather than “that’s ridiculous,” and several other dead giveaways.

5 Likes

Angelina Jolie?

4 Likes

You know who did a good Amurican accent?

If you don’t know, it’s pronounced “BAL-um.”

5 Likes

No fighting in the Where room! Never! Except in vital whermergency! Then go nuts!

3 Likes

Not as recent, but there’s always Kevin Costner’s attempt in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. The accent attempt so noticeably bad that it got its own jokes in Men In Tights…

10 Likes

I suppose we could include Ryan O’Neal doing the Irish protagonist in Barry Lyndon. You’d think that, with his ancestry, he’d be able to nail the accent, but nooooo

7 Likes

Still haven’t seen that one, but this reminds me of two film meta-things I always find amusing:

1. When an actor barely manages the accent for a major character, so there are all these carefully orchestrated comments in the publicity interviews about what a difficult accent it is, or;
  2. When an actor nails an historical accent, and loads of people are complaining it’s not accurate, using their contemporary accents as proof. Doesn’t matter how many historical videos prove the naysayers wrong.
8 Likes

Curiously, the one time I saw Dr Strange, the sound was off and I was reading the subtitles. So no-one’s accent was a problem in the least.

3 Likes

Okay I am late on this. But this was brought up on The Amazing Collosal Podcast sadly it is old enough it is a premium only now. He said that he was there with all these English actors and nobody said a word to him about how bad it was or offered any help at the time so he is puzzled by it all mostly.

8 Likes

He didn’t do the on screen voice at all, the unmasked scenes in ROTJ were done by Sebastian Shaw.

There is footage of Prowse saying his lines in the Vader suit though.

8 Likes

And Peter Mayhew sounded nothing like a real Wookiee.

11 Likes

Oh! I didn’t realize that! thanks!

5 Likes

Lies! of course he sounded just like a wookie! :wink:

6 Likes

You know, Shaw was (to me, anyway) so affecting in his unmasked scene, that’s the biggest reason why I was so indignant that the Special Edition turned his force ghost into Hayden Christensen.

11 Likes

“As dorn approaches…”

http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan/essential.html

Emma Watson in The Circle?

2 Likes

Gillian Anderson in The Fall (American, but lived in London a long time).

Brad Pitt in Snatch had a Tinker accent… an Irish acquaintance said it was legit, but I don’t know if she was taking the mick.

4 Likes

I would like to give a honorable mention award to Robert Montgomery in “Night Must Fall” for at least attempting to do a Welsh accent.

He is perhaps the only American actor to attempt this mad feat.

https://pimg.mycdn.me/getImage?disableStub=true&type=VIDEO_S_720&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.mycdn.me%2Fimage%3Fid%3D857322262691%26t%3D50%26plc%3DWEB%26tkn%3D*Y0rww17lxm0wnCUZrcjYp7l1yNg&signatureToken=OHuC-M67GArbUVjo0fWNBw

And why do pictures have all this annoying code added to them lately!?!?
Is this due to that recent Google copyright ruling?

… That sounds hilariously like Dark Helmet.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen that, so I can’t say? I’ll take your work for it, though.

1 Like