Foreigners doing our accents!

Hayden Christensen or an RSC actor? Hard choice.

/s

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this for days. How about that youngish English guy who was in a film with Johnny Depp (about Peter Pan’s author, maybe?) then went on to star in the recent TV version of Bates Motel and now is the ‘autistic’ doctor in ‘The Good Doctor’? In both of the TV things he plays a generic American.

Or the Australian actor, Jesse someone, who was in House and is now in Chicago Fire? Another one is Alex someone (I’m clearly not up on the details!) who plays Steve McGarrett in Hawaii 5-0.

Or Travis Fimmel, who did possibly the worst generic Scandinavian accent ever in the first season of Vikings? He did improve as time went on, fortunately.

And don’t get me started on Australian accents. They’re usually butchered by people who’ve apparently never heard an Australian speak. But a couple, maybe more, of Australians speaking Australian have been popping up lately. Mostly in crap TV shows, but representation has to start somewhere, I guess.

5 Likes

Crikey!

4 Likes

Mate, I said don’t start! :unamused:

I truly don’t understand what is apparently so difficult about ‘g’day’.

5 Likes

Strewth.

Okay, I’ll stop.

6 Likes

Speaking of which, though, any thoughts on Karl Urban’s Dr. McCoy? I loved his faded version of a Kentucky accent – maybe especially because I know he’s a New Zealander?

Kiwi – now there’s one accent you don’t hear a lot of foreign actors attempting.

6 Likes

do we really say “mee-mo”?

4 Likes

Would any Texans like to give heir opinion of Jon Voight’s accent as Joe Buck?

imagehttps://i.gifer.com/9puq.gif

1 Like

People have issues with Simon Baker on The Mentalist, but what about Owain Yeoman? Or was he so blended into the background, that nobody noticed?

2 Likes

I found 'em on Midgaard in a place called Tex-arse. I call 'em Des and Troy, 'cause when y’bringem together, they Destroy.

6 Likes

I thought he sounded swell as a fairly generic Californian… not too shabby for a Welshman, at any rate, and more reliably authentic-sounding than Simon. But then he had maybe 5% of Simon’s amount of dialogue.

If they had done a Cho & Rigsby spinoff, I totally would have watched that. We had a fake trailer for it cut together in one of our gag reels.

601px-MentalistS2E04_09

8 Likes

Sweet. I like Ontario’s. I live close enough, can I crib it?

2 Likes

As a native Californian I found him very convincing as well. Mrs Ficus would always make me skip the “next time on The Mentalist” bit at the end because she found it so disjointing to hear Baker speaking in his native accent for that.

OMG I would loved to have seen that. Cho in particular was a character I always really enjoyed.

While I really couldn’t get into the final season and the “whole effortless travel across the state” aspect of the show (both in CA and TX where travel is anything but effortless) made it very hard to suspend disbelief at times, I still enjoyed the series. So, my thanks to you for being a part of that!

5 Likes

Yeah, that always felt like an inside joke. Every other episode the Sacramento-based characters would nip off to San Francisco for coffee or to pick up a forgotten sheet of paper… a three-hour round trip, but NBD. At least once, Jane asked Lisbon to accompany him so he could show her something, she asks what and where, he says he’ll tell her when they get there. Very next scene they’re driving up to his old house in Malibu, 400 miles away. At least it was dark when they got there, but that’s still pretty endless patience for a surprise.

That was a fun show to work on.

9 Likes

As long suffering as Lisbon was with Jane’s constant shenanigans, surely by the 100th mile or so she’d be demanding to know WTF is going on.

3 Likes

You’d think. You’d also think she’d recognize the neighborhood before they stopped in his driveway. But no. “Isn’t this your house?”

4 Likes