Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

That would be nice, but no. I’m waiting to hear back from the client and their lawyers. On the plus side, I’m only a freelancer in this situation and one who hasn’t been paid anyway, so the onus is really on the client, not me. Then again, IANAL.

9 Likes

It is just past 8 and I’ve already had the most embarrassing morning of my life.

Put on skirt and blouse, decide to bike to work, realize I literally can’t bike in this skirt. That’s okay, I think, I can still get to work early if I just put on a pair of shorts underneath and hike up the skirt – should be decent enough, no? Realize when I get to town the blouse kind of hangs open on top :flushed: so find the first corner that’s not crawling with people to put a jacket over it. Get near work, stop, pull the skirt down over my shorts, and walk into the office. I was really self-conscious and wanted to make sure the shorts had been decent enough, so I found a bathroom and pulled up the skirt to see how that had looked… just as someone was walking out of a changing room – literally pulling up a skirt as they walked out. :flushed:

Please kill me

12 Likes

I don’t even know. Should I post a message to the internal women’s email list explaining what happened (I didn’t see who it was) or will that just compound my problems. Should I drink coffee first

9 Likes

Yeah, women’s office clothing is not designed for any kind of movement beyond a small-stepped walk. I used to rip the back seams on my straight skirts all the time because I always wore flats and therefore had a longer stride than the skirt was designed for.

If it helps – use office wear that can stand being folded, stuff it in a backpack, and change when you get to work. That, and Google what Dutch and Danish women wear for bicycle commutes.

8 Likes

Chill. It could happen to everyone, and quite frequently does. I have walked into occupied washroom stalls that weren’t latched properly. I’ve also had to send quick chats to colleagues who had skirt hems tucked into their stocking waistbands.

6 Likes

coming in late, but sympathies on the loss

1 Like

coffee then post

1 Like

Nobody should have to explain anything that happens in bathrooms, especially if it’s out of context. When we had multi-person stall bathrooms I had co-workers walk in with my pants in hand, standing in my underwear (I had to change pants and all the stalls were full).

6 Likes

I think the thing is I regularly overhear people engaged in transphobic conversations so I worry I won’t get the benefit of the doubt, even though nothing was really seen. I’m normally obsessive about not doing anything that could be construed the wrong way in bathrooms, I don’t even take my phone in there (so people can’t accuse me of taking pictures or whatever). It’s so easy to imagine rumors spreading through the office and a half-dozen transphobic blog posts speculating over 1 dumb mistake

6 Likes

I don’t know if this is in your price range, but this is an option.

I think it’s ridiculous what trans people go through just to use the bathroom. I’m sorry this happened to you. I would not anticipate a problem that isn’t appearing. If you want to protect yourself, write a note in your diary or something you can use as documentation should problems arise.

10 Likes

omg those skirts are brilliant. thank you!

And thank you for the other advice as well. I think I’m chilled out a bit finally. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

agreed. We need to get beyond the whole “male/female” bathroom thing. Just put in enough stalls and urinals and call it unisex.

7 Likes

Be direct and discreet - ask the person you bumped into where you can get cycling-friendly gear (because these damn ones have to be adjusted any time speed is faster than a slow walk).

One on one, people are understanding. Most of 'em, anyways.

I didn’t see who it was though, I just saw them turn & walk into the gym. Geez it’s possible they didn’t even notice me there anyway.

2 Likes

This was in the employee gym, not the actual office floor where people are doing work? I think you’re in the clear, then. Shit happens in gym changing rooms.

I’m really sorry transphobic rumormongering is making what should be a “lol oops, dangers of modest biking” situation into such a fraught thing.

7 Likes

In that case, yes, it is the children who are wrong.

spent the morning walking back and forth to the key office trying to get a copy of the key for my office. FINALLY got one. Got to my office and it does not open the door, though it does go all the way into the lock. WHY WON’T IT WORK!!!

All I wanted to do was come into my office, prepare for class, eat some lunch, drink some coffee, and read the articles for Wednesday and Thursday… instead, I have to struggle with keys…

brienne-dont-have-time

11 Likes

Walking to work vastly complicated by rafting fire ants. I don’t want to take my dogs out of the yard to potty for fear one of them will step on a colony.

4 Likes

When I was on Fire Island for the 4th of July, it was the first time I have ever seen men using a woman’s bathroom (unless it was a dad with a small child), and really it was just so freeing to be like, “We can just be in this space together and it’s fine.”

6 Likes

Yes!

Now, for instance: I just came back from the ladies’ employee washroom and the lock on the door was wet. Not cool.

Other things that are not cool: not flushing, using copious amounts of toilet paper to cover the seat and then letting it fall to the floor after (the “hamster nest effect”), leaving soap all over the counter.

Notice that none of these have to do with anyone’s gender identity!

10 Likes