Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

Fire alarm triggered evac. Far as we can tell, false alarm.

4 Likes

The last office I was in (and which weā€™re scheduled to move back to in two years) had construction going on on another floor.

For a week, the fire alarm was going off multiple times a day. We were not on the ground floor.

4 Likes

My office has been under construction for the last two months.

The building in general, and my office specifically.

Iā€™m very grateful that I have a permanent office again, but I do not miss the fire alarm tests.

I certainly donā€™t miss the other extraneous construction sounds, because theyā€™re still going on. The construction is still going on.

6 Likes

We had to move to a new building before it was complete. Wasnā€™t too noisy, but the grinding of the steel railings for a nearby open stairwell put a terrific amount of nasty metallic dust in the air. The workers were wearing respirators, but we werenā€™t given any.

4 Likes

Our landlord told us that they were doing demolition in the office on the floor below us, which would run from 8 PM to 2 AM every night and be done in about two weeks.

Six weeks later, itā€™s still happening, and itā€™s all day long. Noise you can hear on every floor of the building, carried by the elevator shafts, but particularly loud in our office. Reciprocal saws screeching at random, enough to drown out attempts to talk. Weird vibrations and pounding/chopping like theyā€™re trying to cut the floor out from under us.

9 Likes

Time to request a rebate for the inconvenience to your companyā€™s ability to do business.

8 Likes

Small businesses that employ people in a local economy are getting screwed by the tariff fight. Looks like this includes Moog in Asheville, NC. After Bob Moog bought the company back in the early 2000s, they brought manufacturing back to the states in Asheville. After he died, they gave 49% of stock to the employees, so everyone is an employee-owner. They employ about 100 people, and they partner with UNC-Asheville, teaching classes on electrical engineering and music. I recently toured, and itā€™s a shame that this bullshit dick swinging over tariffs is going to punish companies that actually do have a measurably positive effect on their local economy.

15 Likes

This trade war is stupid, but thereā€™s been some pushback from other companies about Moogā€™s statement. European synth manufacturers have all been paying more for these parts for years. Paul Schreiber from Synthesis Technology in Texas wrote up a rebuttal on Facebook.

Being employee-owned, theyā€™re unlikely to lay themselves off and move production overseas because a roll of 5000 resistors will cost $17 instead of $14.

Thereā€™s also a worldwide capacitor shortage on ā€“ mostly thanks to panic buying ā€“ and prices have already gone up 350%. Itā€™s been delaying production orders for Eurorack module companies by several weeks, among other things. That has a much bigger impact, but itā€™s still not really a disaster for a company like Moog.

Back in March, Arturia (a French company that manufactures in France, US and Mexico) announced they were raising the price on their flagship Matrixbrute from $2200 to $2500 due to increases in component costs. So far, nobody else has followed suit but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it happens.

As a synth geek I have mixed feelings about Moog overall. Every once in a while they release something neat (Theremini, DFAM) but for the most part they rely on ā€œclassicā€ designs, nostalgia, brand cachet etc. and the pricetags on many of their products reflect that.

6 Likes

(I should also have mentioned, Paul has been in the electronics business for quite some time, with several designs for Realistic / Tandy, Cirrus, RIM, TI, including the Realistic Concertmate MG-1 which was built by Moog for Radio Shack. Heā€™s been running his own synth company since 1998. And heā€™s opinionated and doesnā€™t hold back, heh.)

5 Likes

On the eve of our vacation, my partnerā€™s company decided to let her know she didnā€™t need to bother coming back.

We knew the end was near, but the owner had made her promise she would stay until the end of August.

Oh well, in the 4 months she has worked there, three other front office people had left and the owner really has no place in running a business from what I have heard.

Looks like weā€™ll be bolting the wings onto her consulting business as the plane goes down the runway.

18 Likes

A modern tradition. The theme song goes something like ā€œoh fuck, I hope this works!ā€

And, indeed I hope it does work.

10 Likes

i found out my partner is having sex with someone else. and was lying about it.

been trying to be so cool about the situation. cause i honestly feel so much of these expectations are invented.

also, i love my person. and thereā€™s little doubt the same is true the other direction.

theyā€™ve stopped lying. they are let me know where and when they are. itā€™s better, but still not easy.

i want my partner (and everyone else!) to be living their life. or trying to.

harder to know what i should be doing to live my life.

guess that will always be a thing.

26 Likes

I would caution you to see your doctor and get tested for STDs as soon as possible.

I know too many people who were given STDs (myself inluded ā€“ HPV) because the cheater was not being careful in addition to not being honest.

16 Likes

So tired of Social Order Defenders. Fuck civility. Pretending that things are always an issue of tone or civility is just an excuse to keep beating down the oppressed.

16 Likes

Elder discovered that she can wreck my day up by spite waking younger.

I love my kids, but honestly, what the fuck, kid? What the fucking fuck?

16 Likes

Three years old and newly shorn of the ā€œonly childā€ crown? Makes sense to me. Then again, I went through the same thing.

8 Likes

These fuckers have now added ā€œtone policingā€ to my vocabulary. And that makes me sad.

10 Likes

I think itā€™s not so much that as that young kids have so few resources they can use to force adults to stop and interact with them. They have relatively few words, particularly for expressing complex feelings. They donā€™t have the physicality or capital to get away from a stressor. She was pissed at me, she couldnā€™t use her words to make me change what I was doing, and so she played the card she had.

Itā€™s better than hitting, though, since waking a baby isnā€™t something she could try and pull at school.

8 Likes

Tried for the second time to set up an online social security account. Second time itā€™s failed. I guess itā€™s time to make an appointment to see someone in person. Ecch. You have to make an appointment by calling the general SSA phone number. And it takes 2-4 weeks to get the appointment.

Fuck the republicans and their self-reinforcing-slash-the-budget-see-the-gubmint-doesnā€™t-work strategy. Gee, that works really well.

14 Likes

Time to rant once again about my very minor problems that only seem big because I donā€™t have anything real to worry about.

So, Iā€™m what might charitably be called ā€œromanticā€ but more accurately ā€œobsessiveā€ (but not so far as to be a stalker). I just generally donā€™t like people (can you tell?), so those few people I can actually tolerate become the subjects of my fixation, until I find out theyā€™re unavailable or uninterested, or until I find someone new or manage to shake the obsession off.

So, Iā€™m at my sisterā€™s wedding (to a really nice guy who makes her happy, which is kind of eerie because Iā€™m not used to seeing her so happy, so, good for him!), and one of my sisterā€™s best friends, a woman who I was in a play with a few years back (Guys and Dolls), is there also, helping out.

Back when this play happened, Iā€™d asked my sister for advice about asking this young lady out, and, unfortunately, learned that she was already happily in a serious relationship. I got depressed for a few weeks, licked my wounds, and moved on.

But now, sheā€™s single, sheā€™s still the nice, terrific person I was attracted to all those years ago, and here we are talking, and Iā€™m staying to feel that connection againā€¦

And Iā€™ve moved six hours away from her since doing that play. Someone who seems like a really good match for me, who my sister likes, who is purportedly availableā€¦ and sheā€™s so far away as to make a relationship practically impossible.

And, even knowing that, even having reassigned myself to itā€¦ I canā€™t get her out of my head. Again.

Iā€™m beginning to think that at some point in a past life, I went around burning shrines to Eros, because I canā€™t think of any other reason my love life would suck this much otherwise.

14 Likes