Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

just thinking those words make me squirm.

8 Likes

You know what Iā€™ve been dealing with for the last ten years. Fingers crossed they donā€™t come back.

P.S. After a round of prednisone, XHance (fluticasone propionate blown, not sucked, into the sinuses) seems to be keeping them at bay.

9 Likes

I also had polyps. The fluticasone proprionate has helped me thus far. They havenā€™t been back since the early 2000s.

7 Likes

And @knoxblox, did either of you get surgery for them, or did they just prescribe meds to deal with them?

6 Likes

Three times, and they keep coming back. One caveatā€¦the ENT said mine were the worst heā€™d seen in person, so Iā€™m at the extreme end of the scale.

11 Likes

FWIW, after many years of trying everything non-surgical for my sinus issues, I finally did the surgery.

One of the best decisions Iā€™ve ever made in my life.

Apparently the basic surgery works about 80% of the time, after which there are more challenging surgical options (with greater risks), but I was fortunately one of the 80%.

I had never in my life been able to breathe through my nose. What a difference that makes! Among other things, not being sick all the time.

I did not find the recovery to be a problem at all, and I had a (difficult) 2-year-old at the time.

So thatā€™s my $0.02.

16 Likes

Ugh! Iā€™m sorry!

Okay! Thanks for sharingā€¦ mine seemed like he didnā€™t think mine were extraordinary? He noted how often he does this surgery and that it should deal with the problem long term.

The weird thing is that this is a relatively new problem for me (the past 3 or 4 years). I did have my tonsils out as a kid (when I was 7) and I stopped getting constant infections after thatā€¦ I hope that Iā€™m part of the 80% too.

Thanks for sharing, all (including @LearnedCoward).

9 Likes

The surgery worked for me too. My polyps havenā€™t come back to any serious extent.

Before surgery, my nose was running constantly, and I had nonstop infections as a result. Iā€™ve been mostly okay since though

10 Likes

You and @chgoliz give me hope!

9 Likes

Thanks, I hope.

I hope everything goes well for you.

7 Likes

Thanks! Itā€™s way on out in December, so Iā€™ll let you all know how it goes.

10 Likes

Plan to take it easy for a while after surgery. Even if they place a stent in your sinuses, it takes some time to heal, and doing things that get your blood pumping is the last thing you want to do to mucous membranes that are damaged.

9 Likes

I have a little Fuck Today I could use some help with.

Micro-loan successful. Thanks, and youā€™ll get it back tomorrow night.

8 Likes

I went in to my medical study today (in San Diego) and wound up stuck in a room having an intense discussion with an older, conservative, capitalist ā€œgentlemanā€ for an hour and a half, before breakfast, having to vehemently defend against a litany of justifications, false equivalencies, and strawmen supporting a slew of fascist, classist, and racist sentiments. It was literally and figuratively exhausting. And yet I still shook his hand when I left.

As I approached the bus stop on my way home, I was greeted by a youthful, smiling African American who asked me how my day was going. A little shocked out of my anger, I briefly explained what Iā€™d just been through. He expressed his sympathy just before we got on the bus.

On the bus, I had time to review my earlier conversation, and my figurative heart became too heavy, and I started openly weeping. The young man noticed, and switched seats to talk with me. To sum up the conversation, he told me I did the right thing, and thanked me ā€œas a black manā€ for trying to enlighten this individual. He told me how important it is to plant seeds in the hearts of men, in hopes that they grow, and lead to understanding.

ā€¦which made my heart even heavier, because Iā€™m looking at this young guy and saying, ā€œI only did what was necessary. You shouldnā€™t be thanking me.ā€

I am so ashamed of many of my countrymen. Today I need a hug in the worst way, and I have no one to ask.

ETA: Just to put things in perspective, this man was not pulling punches. Topics of discussion ranged from ā€œwomen with 6 kids contributing nothing to societyā€ to South African reparations for Apartheid. I flat out told him within earshot of staff that he was making patently racist statements.

24 Likes

16 Likes

dogs%20huggy%20dogs

16 Likes

@Nightflyer

16 Likes

GG-group-hug2

kitty-hugs

15 Likes

I feel very proud to know you.

10 Likes

I was torn whether to say anything because I didnā€™t want to be viewed as virtue signaling, but you guys are the only people I can vent to about this stuff.

Besides,

17 Likes